Where do your hens sleep?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by helenfmb, Sep 8, 2013.

1. helenfmb

helenfmb New Egg

Sep 4, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I've 3 hens. Flora (who is the only one laying yet) and Ginger (a 20 week old) both sleep in a nesting box although not together. Rocky sleeps on the roost. Is ths normal? I would've expected them to sleep on the roost together.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Are your roosts higher than your nest boxes? Chickens generally like to roost/sleep at the highest point possible.

3. helenfmb

helenfmb New Egg

Sep 4, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Yep it's higher. I just found it strange that they do different things! They're obviously happy but I'm curious.

4. Auscal

Auscal Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2010
    It's not unusual - if you'd rather they didn;t sleep in the nest box (since it can get messy with poop), try going in for a few nights just after dusk and moving them from the nest box to the roost.

5. Majd

Majd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2012
    I agree with auscal.... but yes chickens have different personalities... some of mine roost... some on the ground. . Some on lower roosts...

6. helenfmb

helenfmb New Egg

Sep 4, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Thanks for the replies. Ill leave them where they are. It's obviously where they're happy so that'll do fr me. Thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by