Where else should I put vents?

UpstateChickenChick

In the Brooder
Oct 31, 2021
Hello!

See what I have designed so far- where should we put vents or do you think we have enough? Outdoor run is approx 100sq feet, indoor coop is 24sq feet and six chickens total. We still are putting in roost bar & nesting boxes. Let me know what else we should add.

Thank you!

I can see that the coop is just a portion of the shed. It vents into the shed well since the top of coop is open. I would still put some vents into the very top of shed gables. One on each gable. The humidity, and ammonia would exit on top. You can also keep the interior coop door slightly open (not enough for chickens to squeeze out) for good air movement.

On the outdoor run,, just wanted to offer some observations. The 3 foot height is nothing the chickens cant fly over. Another thing with chicken wire,,,,, it will only keep chickens in. Depending on the predators in your area,, daytime predators like coyotes, and fox can get thru that chicken wire. Nighttime predators like raccoons, also can get thru. Your problems with raccoons would start if you forgot to close the chicken door before it got dark. (that is when raccoons start their roaming)

Flying raptors like hawks are also a daytime danger, as well as some owls. Bird netting would solve that problem.

My suggestion as solution, would be,,,,, taller fencing, sistered to the chicken wire already there. Netting over the top. Reason for the taller fencing,, so you don't have to crawl in to get inside run. :thumbsup

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome

Back
Top Bottom