where has everyone been getting hatching eggs?

WarrenHound

Songster
8 Years
May 14, 2012
texas
i just bought my first incubator and am looking into getting some hatching eggs soon but need some ideas where to get them.

my family sent me some ebay hatching eggs links and the deals look good but am unsure anyone ever used ebay to get hatching eggs?

also i cannot figure out why exactly i cannot post in the buy sell and trade boards =S it kept telling me to read the rules and i did or at least i thought i did (might have missed something) otherwise i would use that..

thanks guys/girls i'm new here so still getting used to things

Plenty of people have used E Bay but it is risky and many people have been ripped off

You need 20 posts to participate in BST

What breeds are you looking for? For pets, meat, eggs, show?

pets and possibly a show

these are the breeds we have owned previously and are hoping to own again

silkies

cochins

J giants

easter eggers

polish

necked necks (turken)

orpingtons

marans

showgirls (have not owned but would like)

wyandotte

Most of those breeds can already be found in the BST section. All you'd have to do is PM the owner of the eggs if it's a buy it now.

Also you should check out:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/330991/crazy-24hr-auction

You can get some GORGEOUS birds at some great rates if you bid right.

You'll have 20 posts in no time. After that you will be able to put out your own ad which may help you find those breeds faster

If you're just starting out, and you have an auction around, I'd try there. I paid $6 for 7 dozen eggs (including americanas, EE, bantams of unknown breed, pekin duck eggs, etc). It's a great kind of place if you're just starting out... You can test your incubating skills without spending a fortune, plus take the chicks back to the auction when you hatch them out and gain a little bit of money with that experience. :)

Another good way is to try your local craigslist. I found chicks, ducks, geese, turkeys & hatching eggs all in 1 stop that way. And the lady was close enuf for me to go pick everything up right at her farm. I literally went to the pens with her to collect the hatching eggs & see the parent stock of the chicks I bought.

Find someone locally that sells "farm fresh eggs". Ask if they have a rooster in with the flock, if so then buy a dozen farm fresh eggs. Around my area eggs like this are all over and go for $2 - $3 a dozen. If you're a little more adventurous find a Trader Joes and buy some of their fertile eggs. Of course you really don't know what you are getting, but from what I'ver read it could be darn near anything.

I second craigslist. I found some that way and then we traded chicks to a friend who doesn't hatch her eggs she just sells them as farm fresh eggs. She has a roo in her flock so I figured why not. Her hens are all EE's and her roo is who knows what. I hatched out 10 chicks from 18 eggs and we paid $4 for all the eggs, lol. I got 6 of the cutest little blue/silver EE looking chicks ever in that batch. Wish you were closer I have Marans and will have Buff Orphingtons later in the fall (our roo passed away so waiting on his son to get big enough to breed).

you Marans eggs will be more that a few dolors but you can find them were are you at for we sell Hatching eggs and not trying to sell you on any thing we do have 3 of the breeds your looking for we mostly hatch and sell chicks around are local area never have shipped eggs. One thing i would do if this is the first time you have ever hatched out any i would just find a few and tr it first even if you dont find the breed you want before you buy alot or some eggs for alot of money for differnt breed on hatching eggs go for differnt prices from 2 to 40 dollers a dozen deppending on breed

Back
Top Bottom