Where have all the hunters and trappers gone?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Boyd, May 13, 2009.

1. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    You know, today i was discussing this very subject with a fellow BYC'er who stopped out for some eggs. I think part of the problem that the predators around here are getting sooooooooooooooooooooo outrageous, is they have NO fear of humans. Other than those of us who react and trap to protect our birds, hunting and trapping has gone to the wayside with my generation.

I used to go out daily with either my dad, uncle or grandpa in season. Now that I'm grown with kids, I it seems like I don't have time. I am realizing that I have to pass my wood lore to my kids.

Are we helping to create this problem? Have we given up on nature to the point that they don't respect or fear us anymore? How many people set out a dish of catfood to feed the "cute" raccoons?!?! My parents were guilty of this till the last couple of years (thank god they don't live next door [​IMG]

My uncle used to have a 5 mile trap line. He would check it twice a day, rain or shine, and sell any pelts he got. I don't even know where to go anymore to sell pelts.......... ARG!!!!!!

2. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    My FIL used to trap beaver and milk and things all winter and sell them the next spring- but they outlawed jaw traps around here. Which I think is silly, and you have to be licensed to trap, and apparently its only for vermin and not even things like beaver.

I dunno. Seems to me some coyotes and coons could use some trapping and hunting all year long if you ask me.

**2. No PETA or Cock fighting posts, period!

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2009
  3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

OK I admit it!!!!!
    I don't just put out catfood. I buy food for the raccoons, possums, stray cats, squirrels, crows, little birds, just about anything that comes by hungry.

Imp- no savings, but I have animal friends.

Boyd,
    My grandfather's passion was shooting wolves by plane. [​IMG]

4. Boyd

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    sigh, that's what I was afraid of. Here in Mi, you generally need a fur harvesters permit, as well as small game permit depending on the season. We can trap everything you listed, but almost nobody does anymore. I wish I knew where I could get into selling the furs, this way I could sell the stuff as I keep my flock safe instead of trashcanning it.

5. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    (I'm stalking you, lol)

My dh and I, and our two children hunt. Around here, we don't really have a predator problem. when we lived up north, people sought us out to hunt on their property, to protect their livestock and crops from bear etc. (or should I say they sought out hubby --he only shot what we would eat--we didn't shoot lynx or anything--they would have to get a trapper for that) but then again, most people up north did hunt. When we moved here, even farmers who are losing alot of their crop to deer, dont want anyone hunting on their land. You have a hard time driving in certain areas, for fear of hitting deer with your car. Hunting is a great pass time ( I only do small animals) It teaches you to respect nature, learn about it, and is a great family thing, and you can feed your family wholesomely. I thin more people should do it, or at least be tolerant of it, if not accepting of it.

6. Boyd

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    Quote:Lol hopefully I'm not a deer in the headlights when you take aim!

7. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I'm sure you could find someone to buy furs. Maybe someone making crafts, or try E-bay.

Good Luck,

Imp-used to hunt, now I look at the rain and go hunting in the grocery store.

8. jbowen9

jbowen9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    southwest Virginia
    I still hunt and trap regular and i always have live traps set around my place for the passer by animals looking for a quick easy chicken house meal seems to me at least where i live i catch more stray rough looking house cats then anything else oh and yes you have to have a license to trap at least in virginia

9. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    My husband is a trapper. He does it for hobby and also for people locally that have problem animals.

His dad and grandfather were trappers too. His dad is big into it.

Last edited: May 13, 2009
  10. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Times have changed. Growing up, we had 72 acres I could hunt on, plus I could hunt on almost all our neighbor's land. We had open pasture and hayfields, woodlands not just little wood lots, and most fence rows were fairly clean. Now I would not use a .22 to hunt there. Too many people living there. Even if I still lived there, I would not know most of the people living around there anyway. The people living there are not outdoorsmen. They don't hunt and fish. They certainly don't farm. They have a job in town. There are a few pastures and hayfields that are not overgrown, but not many.

I don't blame EPA or PETA. A vast majority of the population of this country grew up with houses within 15 feet of three lot lines and another across the street. Apples are supposed to taste mealy and tomatoes like cardboard. We, the vast majority of the population of the United States, just don't know any better. I moved to suburbia, got a job and raised city kids. I'm as much to blame as anybody else. I taught them to fish but not to hunt. Out of three, only one fishes. It is depressing to me, but it is a new world. We dinosaurs will be leaving it to the next group.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by