Where is a good place to buy a coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by rham5151, Jun 29, 2010.

1. rham5151

rham5151 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2010
    I live in North Carolina, and my dad and I are interested in getting chickens. We don't mind building a coop,but we want to bypass all of the work and time and just buy a coop already made. Is there any places in North or South Carolina that we can buy a coop? Cost is not a object.

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Check your local CraigsList - there are coop builders all over many Craigslists. Just be careful to ask BYCers for their/our opinions of any you find - SOME builders are idiots who charge far too much.

Also, BYC has several advertisers who sell coops. Check out this list of BYC sponsors:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/LC-supplies.html

3. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

And Freecycle.org, can't forget them.

And ebay, just alter the search to within X miles of you.

Oh, and remember with any online purchase to look at the actual measurements. Many will say "holds 4-6 hens" but when you get the thing you realize that it's only got 14sf of coop space (enough for 3-4) and 35sf of run (enough for 3-4)... then you might be able to return it, but maybe not, and you still end up having to build/buy one that will work.

4. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    Check with the Amish if you have any in your area.. They do a great job, follow up to be sure you like it and will even do repairs cheaper than most contractors.
    I priced theirs versus most others and it was cheaper. They will also build to your specs. right on your property or deliver and set it up.
    When I purchased mine they set and leveled and called a few days later to be sure I was happy with it.

5. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
  6. MarieNC

MarieNC Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    We ended up buying a storage shed from a place around Asheboro, NC. They delivered it and leveled it for us. We're building the run next to it as well as outfitting the inside. It is still a boatload of work, though.

7. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
  8. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Quote:YES!!! Definitely ask for the measurements, not how many chickens they will hold. Many people on CL also quote WAY too many birds for the coop size they sell. I'm building one to sell now (not in your area), and will advertise it for 3-4 birds (a little over 16 sq. ft. of interior space). Many places would say the coop could accomodate 8 or 9 birds!!! Pay attention...

9. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Quote:I looked at the coop you built on your BYC page. You do wonderful work! I wish you lived in my area.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by