Where is my Speckled Sussex's tail?? **Added Pictures**

MommaK6

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 20, 2012
My Speckled Sussex (supposedly a female) STILL does not have a tail. What is the deal??? They are almost 7 weeks old now. My 2 week old bantams have more of a tail than my sweet little Petunia!

Last edited:
I am interested in the reply to this also, I have a 9 week old EE that still doesnt have tail feathers. Everyone else had them at 3 weeks. And, no, he is not tailess, he has a tailbone, just not feathered yet. BTW, I do know that most late feathering chicks are cockerals.

Couple weeks old....

This picture was posted 2 weeks or so ago because she(he?) was in full-blown Chickasaurus stage and she was looking quite rough.....

These were taken today. She is about 6 weeks old.

Couple weeks old....

This picture was posted 2 weeks or so ago because she(he?) was in full-blown Chickasaurus stage and she was looking quite rough.....

These were taken today. She is about 6 weeks old.

I'm going to say it's a little rooster because...

1) Slow feather/tail growth.
2) Very upright stance.
2) Those honkin' legs!

Last edited:
I'm going to say it's a little rooster because...

1) Slow feather/tail growth.
2) Very upright stance.
S/he just seems to like to pose for the camera....s/he seems to have the same stance as the other hens.
2) Those honkin' legs
They seem large?? I feel like they are comparable to the other hens, only Petunia's body hasn't "rounded" out yet.

Would the comb be a different color at this age?

I agree!! I bet Petunia is actually Paul. Sorry but I had BA's that did that, both were roosters and out of 14 GLW "pullets" I now have a beautiful GLW roo. I picked them ALL out at about this age.

I agree!! I bet Petunia is actually Paul. Sorry but I had BA's that did that, both were roosters and out of 14 GLW "pullets" I now have a beautiful GLW roo. I picked them ALL out at about this age.

Back
Top Bottom