where is that list of plants to grow for chickens?

AHappychick

Wanna-be Farmer
11 Years
Dec 16, 2008
westchester
I remember a list of the various good plants that chickens like to eat that are good to plant to help supliment feed and give them a nice variety of free range options. But I can not find the list anywhere and it is seed ordering time
smile.png
Anyone have a link or a list of good stuff to order?

So far I found this on another post its 2 different mixed done by sandhillpreservation.com

The Spring Pack has Essex Rape, Millet and mustard and then gives directions.

The Fall Pack has Essex Rape, Millet, Mustard. Turnips and Winter Radishes, and then gives directions.

and I think a spinach would be good so I found a vine type that will grow up the fence and side of runs.

Anyone else have anything to add?

Sunflower, and I like using our grapes off the grapevine for snacks for them. Oh and of course apples. Aaah they love it when the apples fall from the trees. It is truly halloween candy for them.
lol.png
Also, we like to spread out different Oats to grow in the pasture for them.

And then there's the fact that just about every kind of berry grows wild out here, so no need to plant those. . Just pick them off or show them to the chickens.
smile.png

Here are some of the things that I grow for us and/or the chickens: swiss chard, kale, spinach, lettuce, cabbage, comfrey, chickpeas, sunflowers, alfalfa, millet, amaranth, tomatoes, . . .

They wander the yard for part of the day too so they eat lots of bugs and grass.

Oh sweet, was just thinking about this!!

I bring my horse home a couple times a month and he gets a 1/3 of our yard. Was thinking about sectioning it off and growing the below linked grasses, are these ok for the chickens? Since he wont be grazing it often, I figure I would let the ladies over there a couple times a week to get it groomed
wink.png

http://www.botanicalanimal.com/Sow_Your_Seeds%99.htm

Back
Top Bottom