Where is the best/cheapest place to buy Cornish X

deshet

In the Brooder
Sep 6, 2015
I am looking for the best place or cheapest place to buy Cornish crosses.

Does anyone know if they can be purchased without any injections.

Thanks

I'm not sure where you are, but I've always like the Cornish from Central Hatchery in Nebraska. Great prices and the birds have always done well for us.

Cornish usually aren't vaccinated.

If you know a commercial grower and can stomach a commercial chicken house, you might be able to get some freebies. During every growing cycle the feeders are raised at certain intervals. Inevitably, there are a few chickens too small to reach the feeders at the new height and have to be culled out. You might be able to work a deal to take these babies home. Usually they're the least dominate and already have a feel for scratching for scraps about the floor, so getting them to forage and "clean out" is no trouble.

Meyers Hatchery has pretty good pricing depending on the amout you are wanting to purchase. I am going to be using Hoovers Hatchery this year because they have free shipping. I will be getting meat turkeys and then 4 weeks later we will get Cornish Cross. Their prices are decent and because we are getting 15 turkeys and 50 cornish, it is worth paying a few cents more per bird than $30-$40 in shipping for $65 birds. Since I don't have the space to brood 65 birds, this will work best for me.

I would highly recommend minding the strain of cornish cross you are ordering. I have found night and day differences between some strains. they seem very from the slothful, illness prone but fastest growers to the slightly slower growers that have more energy and fewer problems. so far, the COBB 500 are my favorite and Jenk's hatchery in OR has been great. finding the closest hatchery to you is perhaps the most important factor and making sure they don't outsource... some hatcheries will have chicks shipped to you from a variety of sources, whatever works best for them, making it impossible for you to tell how far they are traveling.

Welp has them cheap, but when my 4h meat birds came from them this year they had Mycoplasma. I don't remember the price difference, but I am trying purely poultry this year.

Welp has them cheap, but when my 4h meat birds came from them this year they had Mycoplasma. I don't remember the price difference, but I am trying purely poultry this year.

Purely Poultry doesn't hatch their own birds, they drop ship from other hatcheries. You can give them a call though, they work with their customers to make sure you are getting what you want. I don't think you can request a specific hatchery, but you can discuss regions of the country, strains of birds, etc. and they will help if they can.

Purely Poultry doesn't hatch their own birds, they drop ship from other hatcheries. You can give them a call though, they work with their customers to make sure you are getting what you want. I don't think you can request a specific hatchery, but you can discuss regions of the country, strains of birds, etc. and they will help if they can.
Interesting. I might try and email them to explain our plans and see if they can try and get the best to us.

Back
Top Bottom