Where is the best place to buy chicks?

Jenn86

In the Brooder
Sep 14, 2022
I plan on starting next year and hear you need to order them sometimes in November, to receive them in April. I live in the Fond du Lac, WI area, and have no idea where to go, other than the local farm stores. Any suggestions? Not sure what breed(s) yet, any recommendations? I think I'll start with 6 hens, mostly for eggs, but will butcher when they get older. So would like to get to know a local breeder we can use on a regular basis, until or unless we start breeding them ourselves.

The other person gave a pretty good reply already. But I got my chicks from Meyer in Ohio and they ship to anywhere in the US. I've been happy with my chicks so far. I lost 1 out of 9 but the rest seem really healthy.

Also just wanted to say that I lived in Fondy for several years and loved it! It's rare to see people who even know where that is so I had to say something lol. Best of luck with your chicks! Luckily many people in Wisconsin raise chickens so your local farm store likely will have a good selection as well. Does Farm and Fleet sell chicks?

Edit: I just noticed that you asked for breed suggestions. Are you allowed to have roosters? If so, a good way to get eggs and meat is to order "straight run" (mix of both males and females of a breed) and the females you keep as layers and the males you harvest for meat. You can also harvest the hens when they get older. For this, look for breeds labeled as "dual purpose" like Rhode Island Red, Barred Rock, Orpington, or Delaware.

If you can't have a rooster, the dual purpose hens would still be a good choice if you plan to process them for the stew pot later. They lay eggs well, but still have enough meat on their bones to use for eating.

In my experience, I have learned to stay away from "high production layer" breeds for my purposes. Seems like you should too since you plan to eat them. All of mine developed horrible reproductive issues after their second year because their reproductive systems get worked so hard in those first couple years. Then they died. But even if I would have processed them before they got sick, they barely had meat on their bones. My experience is with Golden Comets/Red Stars, but ISA Browns and other production layers are about the same with their health issues.

I would go with the dual purpose breeds.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
The other person gave a pretty good reply already. But I got my chicks from Meyer in Ohio and they ship to anywhere in the US. I've been happy with my chicks so far. I lost 1 out of 9 but the rest seem really healthy.

Also just wanted to say that I lived in Fondy for several years and loved it! It's rare to see people who even know where that is so I had to say something lol. Best of luck with your chicks! Luckily many people in Wisconsin raise chickens so your local farm store likely will have a good selection as well. Does Farm and Fleet sell chicks?

Edit: I just noticed that you asked for breed suggestions. Are you allowed to have roosters? If so, a good way to get eggs and meat is to order "straight run" (mix of both males and females of a breed) and the females you keep as layers and the males you harvest for meat. You can also harvest the hens when they get older. For this, look for breeds labeled as "dual purpose" like Rhode Island Red, Barred Rock, Orpington, or Delaware.

If you can't have a rooster, the dual purpose hens would still be a good choice if you plan to process them for the stew pot later. They lay eggs well, but still have enough meat on their bones to use for eating.

In my experience, I have learned to stay away from "high production layer" breeds for my purposes. Seems like you should too since you plan to eat them. All of mine developed horrible reproductive issues after their second year because their reproductive systems get worked so hard in those first couple years. Then they died. But even if I would have processed them before they got sick, they barely had meat on their bones. My experience is with Golden Comets/Red Stars, but ISA Browns and other production layers are about the same with their health issues.

I would go with the dual purpose breeds.

Hope this helps!
Thanks, I found a local hatchery, Sunnyside in Beaver Dam, so I can pick them up myself and not have to worry about them going through the postal service. The breeds I plan on getting are Barred Rocks, Buff Orpingtons, maybe some Golden Laced Wyandottes, and their Araucanas Rainbow Eggers (a commercial strain from Europe).
Probably 3-4 of each. I just picked up some supplies from Country Visions cooperative (Brillion,WI), (they do sell pullets in the spring, but not much of a selection in breeds).
For the coop I decided to get the plastic nesting boxes for inside the coop and cut a trap door in the back (where it is attached to the coop) in order to access the eggs from outside coop, rather than building the nesting boxes. hopefully to keep them warmer in the winter and easier to clean...also easier to add or subtract boxes as needed.

Thanks, I found a local hatchery, Sunnyside in Beaver Dam, so I can pick them up myself and not have to worry about them going through the postal service. The breeds I plan on getting are Barred Rocks, Buff Orpingtons, maybe some Golden Laced Wyandottes, and their Araucanas Rainbow Eggers (a commercial strain from Europe).
Probably 3-4 of each. I just picked up some supplies from Country Visions cooperative (Brillion,WI), (they do sell pullets in the spring, but not much of a selection in breeds).
For the coop I decided to get the plastic nesting boxes for inside the coop and cut a trap door in the back (where it is attached to the coop) in order to access the eggs from outside coop, rather than building the nesting boxes. hopefully to keep them warmer in the winter and easier to clean...also easier to add or subtract boxes as needed.
That sounds great! Best of luck and have fun :)

You live in a good area close to many hatcheries, Ideal, Cackle, McMurray, Strombergs, Meyers and Mt. Healthy are all good hatcheries. Avoid Hoovers.
Why "avoid hoover's"?? They're one of the few who actually give you a number of eggs to expect per year, and the size of the eggs. I've never had any problems with their shipping or their birds.

Why "avoid hoover's"?? They're one of the few who actually give you a number of eggs to expect per year, and the size of the eggs. I've never had any problems with their shipping or their birds.
See above post. :]
Every hatchery I've seen lists the expected number and size of eggs.
Let's just say when the place you work at orders birds from hoovers and they continuously send the wrong information on the birds so you get people come in to yell at you because 'you sold them the wrong birds' and ' you should refund their money for false advertising'. You loose patience with that hatchery quickly.
Edit: personal orders are obviously a different matter, they are better at that

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom