Where is the extra egg coming from?!?

BjaJra826

Songster
Mar 12, 2019
Iowa
Hello everybody! I have a strange question for all of you. I currently have 7 ducks, two of which I have known as drakes for the last year. This is not only because of their rasp but I have literally seen their penises. For the last 2 days when I collect eggs I am finding 6 eggs. Yesterday I thought that maybe they had hidden some and I just didn't find them from the day before. Because of this I searched every single spot that I could think of where they usually lay. I checked in all the loose litter( wood chips and dry leaves) in the coop because nothing is worse than finding a stray egg with your feet after it has gone bad. I know for a fact there was no eggs! But then this morning I have 6 eggs again. My Rouen drake molted his nuptuial feathersand never got them back fully. His second molt left him looking like a drake in drag. He still rasps and mounts the other hen ducks, but I havn't seen his penis since spring ( I swear I'm not a perv I just watch the ducks alot and my pekin drake is always dragging his penis around lol). Is it possible my drake laid an egg? I've heard of sex changes from female to male but never the other way around.

Hens can lay twice in one day. It is strange that it happened two days in a row, though. But it still seems like the most likely option, unless you’ve got strays coming and laying eggs - I know someone who had wild turkeys lay in their nests pretty regularly.

I don't think it was a stray, my birds don't free range because we live in town. I do have chickens, but only 1 hen that lays white eggs. My chicken eggs are much smaller and more porous? Like my duck eggs are very smooth to the touch and somewhat off-white but the chicken eggs have a different texture and are much more of an opaque white. It definatly could be double laying, I hadn't thought of that! Thank you all!

I don't think it was a stray, my birds don't free range because we live in town. I do have chickens, but only 1 hen that lays white eggs. My chicken eggs are much smaller and more porous? Like my duck eggs are very smooth to the touch and somewhat off-white but the chicken eggs have a different texture and are much more of an opaque white. It definatly could be double laying, I hadn't thought of that! Thank you all!
I had a duck that would sometimes lay 2 eggs in one day, usually only in spring though

Back
Top Bottom