Where is this "Vent?"

On the serious side, I think it's important to know where their anatomy is. The vent is the best place, IMO, to check to see if they have mites. It's also important for you to get an idea of where things are on their bodies in case of emergencies. How will you treat it/take care of it, if you do not know where it is? And if, God forbid, a dog got to her and you were checking her out to make sure she was okay, how would you know if things looked normal/right or not?

Mind you, I don't go around groping my chickens, but I do feel it's important for them to be handled in case of emergency so they'll be more calm at that time and for you to be educated on them.

JMO

Very good point...i have never checked out my chicken's vents either. It scares me...
th.gif

~Rebecca

I believe that most pullets would purposely delay laying their first egg if you were to mess around poking at their undergarments in order to see their privates.

Very good point...i have never checked out my chicken's vents either. It scares me...

You know, exit only........

LOL You guys kill me

YAY!! I guess the girls knew what I was getting info about and decided to take one for the team. When I went home at lunch to check on them guess what I found!!
lol.png
I'll get a pic up later.. So at least one of 4 layed! and that will make me a lil more patient.. Funny its 23-24 weeks to the day depending on which one it was.
big_smile.png

I think it was one of the reds because its a little brownish egg, other would be the blacksexlink or wels. Only one red and the black squat.

I was starting to wonder about this too...I have one girl who looks and acts like she should be laying. Every day around the same time she starts squaking out in the yard so I run out to see if she laid an egg in the bushes. I bet she's laughing at me hunting around out there! I wondered if I could tell if she's hiding her eggs by looking at her vent?

The other day AFTER my turken layed her egg, she came out yelling like a banshee and running around the yard. I looked at my fiance and he looked at me and we shurgged. A few minutes later she pointed her rear at us and that vent opened and we thought ANOTHER EGG or what?? NO!!!! The biggest pile of poo a chicken could possibly lay. We both started laughing saying no wonder she was yelling!!!!!!!!!!!
gig.gif

I've looked at my chickens' vents. They don't like it but I agree it's good to know 1) where it is and 2) what it normally looks like.

Warning: a vent will "wink" as the chicken gets upset or moves. As my cochin clucks her vent pulses.

Back
Top Bottom