WHere is your brooder???

In the basement. But I will switch them out to the (dogless) kennel bldg where the other chickens are (in a different part of it) soon, when they are 2-3 wks old, with a different brooder setup out there.

There is the faintest aura of 'small cage pet' in the basement but only very very mildly, they certainly do not smell Like Chickens or zoo-ey or anything like that. Of course they are only 6 days old yet
smile.png
and I have had them on paper towels over shavings, with paper towels changed 2x/day. Am phasing out paper towels now.

Pat

YOu guys are a great help...I"m not so worried anymore that hubby will freak about the smell...and my dad is moving in in June and I will still have the babies in the house at that time so I hope they aren't so smelly...if so they will be old enough to move out to the garage for a few weeks till we get their cage done
wink.png
I will make sure the heat lamp is on 24/7 too.

Mine was in the livingroom. I didn't notice a smell until they were about 5-6 weeks old and by then it was time to go out to the barn. The dust is way worse then the smell by far
smile.png

Quote:
How about hamster?!?! My 16 chicks, in their brooder that was cleaned out once a week, smelled like NOTHING compared to my daughter's hamster, LOL!!!
he.gif

Yes, the dust was what made me move them out at 4 weeks. Could not stand the dust anymore. In the future, I'll brood in the coop.

Last edited:
I agree that the dust is by far the worst part. I like having the chicks around and the smell is easy to deal with by frquent cleaning. The dust is just horrific. I move them outside as quickly as I can now. I hate to see them go but am sick of wiping EVERY surface down over and over.

Richard

I have 25 chicks and 7 turkeys in the garage and 10 ducks in the laundry room which is right by our bedroom. We clean them 3x a day and haven't noticed much smell. The baby ducks get changed 4 to 5x a day as they like to soak everything:)

Back
Top Bottom