Where should I get my chicks?

ch1ckenlover

In the Brooder
Sep 6, 2015
VA
I am going to get my very first chickens in about a month, and I'm wondering where is the best place to get chicks from. I've looked at MyPetChicken.com, but the chick minimum is 6 in my area. And I only want 3 or 4.

For 3-4, go to your local farm and feed store. These will be the same chicks My Pet Chicken sells. Most stores start carrying chicks in about 6 weeks. Only buy pullets as straight run will be roosters and hens. You might find chicks locally on CL but be prepared for 50% boys.

I am going to get my very first chickens in about a month, and I'm wondering where is the best place to get chicks from. I've looked at MyPetChicken.com, but the chick minimum is 6 in my area. And I only want 3 or 4.

I think it's going to be difficult to find a hatchery that will send only 3-4 chicks, they really need more bodies in the box to keep warm.

Have you tried a Google or Bing search to see if there are any breeders around you? Sometimes school teachers or 4-H kids will hatch eggs as a project, maybe you'd have some luck there. If you're looking for some breeds that are less common than others, you might want to try incubating eggs.

Once you have 20 posts, you can use the buy-sell-trade forum here on BYC.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/67/buy-sell-trade

Good luck!

The local feed store is a great place to start. If you are concerned about the breeds of the chicks, call them ASAP and see what they plan on ordering. My feed store will special order different breeds for interested customers.

What kind are you looking for? If you have a specific must have list, life gets a bit more complicated. That being said, it doesn't cost any more to feed and house the chickens you really want to have than it does to house the feed store offerings which are likely to be production birds. I'd suggest that you go to your state thread, and see if anyone is hatching the breeds you're interested in, or if anyone would like to split an order with you. Some hatcheries, while they have a minimum of 15 - 25 per order, will let you order 1 - 5 of any particular breed. Makes it easy to split an order with someone.

Depends on the breed you want but I represent around 50+ chickens pm me for the full list I have a lot in Florida and Indiana but can ship generally anywhere

I was wanting a Speckled Sussex, Buff Orpington, and a Partridge Cochin. And if I can't get them at TSC I might order with my aunt.

Back
Top Bottom