1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Where should I get my chicks?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ch1ckenlover, Jan 12, 2016.

1. ch1ckenlover

ch1ckenlover Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2015
    VA
    I am going to get my very first chickens in about a month, and I'm wondering where is the best place to get chicks from. I've looked at MyPetChicken.com, but the chick minimum is 6 in my area. And I only want 3 or 4.

2. JacksFarmNGardn

JacksFarmNGardn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2015
    New York
    Have you tried your local craigslist?

3. ch1ckenlover

Sep 6, 2015
    VA
    No, but do you think they would have the kinds I'm looking for?

4. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    For 3-4, go to your local farm and feed store. These will be the same chicks My Pet Chicken sells. Most stores start carrying chicks in about 6 weeks. Only buy pullets as straight run will be roosters and hens. You might find chicks locally on CL but be prepared for 50% boys.

5. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    I think it's going to be difficult to find a hatchery that will send only 3-4 chicks, they really need more bodies in the box to keep warm.

Have you tried a Google or Bing search to see if there are any breeders around you? Sometimes school teachers or 4-H kids will hatch eggs as a project, maybe you'd have some luck there. If you're looking for some breeds that are less common than others, you might want to try incubating eggs.

Once you have 20 posts, you can use the buy-sell-trade forum here on BYC.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/67/buy-sell-trade

Good luck!

6. TheLittleWomen

TheLittleWomen New Egg

May 17, 2015
    Illinois
    The local feed store is a great place to start. If you are concerned about the breeds of the chicks, call them ASAP and see what they plan on ordering. My feed store will special order different breeds for interested customers.

7. ch1ckenlover

Sep 6, 2015
    VA
    I live near a Tractor Supply, would they start carrying chicks in 6 weeks?

8. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    What kind are you looking for? If you have a specific must have list, life gets a bit more complicated. That being said, it doesn't cost any more to feed and house the chickens you really want to have than it does to house the feed store offerings which are likely to be production birds. I'd suggest that you go to your state thread, and see if anyone is hatching the breeds you're interested in, or if anyone would like to split an order with you. Some hatcheries, while they have a minimum of 15 - 25 per order, will let you order 1 - 5 of any particular breed. Makes it easy to split an order with someone.

9. daskhan

daskhan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2015
    Indiana
    Depends on the breed you want but I represent around 50+ chickens pm me for the full list I have a lot in Florida and Indiana but can ship generally anywhere

10. ch1ckenlover

Sep 6, 2015
    VA
    I was wanting a Speckled Sussex, Buff Orpington, and a Partridge Cochin. And if I can't get them at TSC I might order with my aunt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by