Where should I keep the food and water???

PoultryQueen29

Songster
8 Years
Sep 26, 2011
North Carolina
My silkies keep kicking up pine bedding into their water. I was thinking of putting the water outside in a little hut or something. Should I put the food out there too? Im afraid it might get rained on and get all nasty.

You could just put the water out there. You might want to think about whether the food outside will attract pests. If you don't think so then you could try covering it with a hut like you say. Just be sure they don't spill to much around the dish that could get wet and moldy. I have the water outside for one coop. For my other coop, I have it elevated on a cinder block that sits in a plastic kitty litter box, to prevent any possible spilled water from making all the bedding wet.

Personally I like both inside where it is easy for me to access but harder for pest to get.

as far as water...

I let the water hang from the ceiling... BUT I noticed they were bumping it and spilling it every now and then.... so I now hang it but also set it on a block. It cant swing and they can't knock it off into the floor because of the chain.

Elevated and covered are your best bets, both for the sake of keeping the food & water clean & for your back.

Mine hang from their elevated hen house.

Lots of folks use PVC pipes. Others shield the containers and simply cut out holes for the chickens to stick their necks in to. I suspect it all helps a little bit, but I'm not sure anything is perfect.

I usually keep both food and water outside the coop (and put the food in a metal trash can type pail at night).

However, when winter comes I sometimes move the food in the coop because of the blowing rain. It blows almost sideways sometimes here. Also, I might add that I am diligent about letting them outside for all of the daylight hours.

I have water and feed in both the run and coop. They use the ones in the run almost 100 percent.

Thanks for all the answers! It's my first time owning chickens
tongue.png

Hi guys, I can recommend using an automatic chicken feeder to keep your food in. They can be great for keeping pests out of your chicken food while also reducing spillage and wastage which will save you money in the long run. While there are cheap products around it can me much more beneficial to buy something which guarantees quality. Check out Granpa's Feeders, engineered in New Zealand and really well built you can't go wrong!

http://www.grandpasfeeders.com

Back
Top Bottom