Where should I store my eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jay1995, Feb 20, 2009.

1. jay1995

jay1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    St. Augustine, Florida
    I have read alot of the threads saying dont use a refridgerator, but NO ONE says where to store them. And dont forget I live in florida and cant leave them outside. I just want to know WHERE... Right now they are in a cooler reading 48.9F with a humidity of 61%. An help is appreciated. Thanks.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Well, you probably dont have a bsmt in FL, which is where I store mine. In the really hot times, I keep them in a cooler in the bsmt with a couple of those blue ice pack things I change out daily. Between 50 and 65 is ideal temps and about 70% humidity is better than low humidity.

3. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

If you're waiting to incubate or put under a broody to hatch, just in a coolish, safe place. 48 degrees isn't bad, could be a little warmer too. All I can say is I have a basement and leave mine on a shelf where I know no one else will bug them, it is a little warmer than that down there I think, probably betw 55 and 60... but don't stress over it too much. (that's sort of my motto for everything though, don't stress too much.) [​IMG]

[edit] LOL, Speckled got her answer up while I was typing mine, nice to see we agree though! tee hee!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  4. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I do as Speckledhen does, and I just use gallon ziploc bags with ice cubes in them, and put a towel over the top so they don't get too cold. I change out the ice bags twice daily, or as the ice melts. Once it melts, I put the water in the bag right in the freezer, and then I have skinny slabs of ice in bags to use. I didn't have to do a thing regarding temp or humidity in the cooler.

Remember to tip your eggs a few times a day as well.

5. speckledhen

My bsmt is usually the perfect temp range, though in a really hot summer, even my bsmt temps were right at 70*, so I use the cold packs.

6. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Quote:Actually, I have several times said where to store them [​IMG]

Anywhere where the RH is 50% and the temp is 50F. Turn them once a day.

Where you have them is just about perfect.

7. speckledhen

8. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Well, I traded some eggs from somebody locally twice and couldn't get those things to develop or do anything! Called the person and asked how he stored them and he said....drumroll.... beside the microwave!!!! Of course, he got a good deal because all of the eggs he got from me hatched.
    [​IMG]

Eggs were fertile when I cracked them open, they just would not develop.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  9. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    I actually use one of the shelves in my wine refrigerator . It is a good constant temp that is lower than a regular refrigerator. I know that it's not the most practical for most but since I had one already, it works.... I can never keep my wine too long anyway [​IMG] Sometimes you can find them on craigslist for pretty cheap, I originally got a small one on there for $40, then I upgraded to a bigger one and sold my small one for $20. If you do a lot of hatching or
    are waiting to ship eggs, it might be a good option.

Nancy

10. Daycare Mom

Daycare Mom Chickens, Cuddly and Delicious

Apr 9, 2008
    Conklin, Michigan
    Great info, I have wondered about this too. The old timers told me to just leave them on the counter until I needed them. I knew that didn't seem quite right.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by