Where to buy an inexpensive but quality coop?

Jklein4139

Hatching
10 Years
Oct 22, 2009
We are new to the chicken raising community. Our chicks are 7 weeks old and are huge. We are looking for a coop to keep them in with an attatched run. Does anyone know of a website or place I can find a reasonably priced coop?

Check out craig's list www.craigslist.com - sign up and check all neighboring towns in your state. I found a beauty - reasonable, too. Ebay is another possibility. Sometimes it is cheaper to have one made by a local carpenter (check your newspaper) than to buy it because shipping can get expensive.

Laura

Best bet is to build one, but you can always check craigslist for kids playhouses and just make some minor adjustments to convert it into a coop.

Also, a wooden or vinyl shed (backyard garden storage shed, you know, like all yer neighbors have) works great as a coop. Look for secondhand; but also, this is the time of year when a lot of stores are offering deep discounts on remainders and display models. Very little is required to convert to chickens (add ventilation openings, tack up roost, cut a little chicken door).

Be careful with the 4x6 Amish-made ones, a number of them are rather dysfunctionally designed IMHO and many BYCers have chronic lack-of-ventilation issues that are not tremendously easy to fix due to the shape/design.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

What do you consider "inexpensive"

What $ range? $100 - $200, or $400 to $800 etc.

Do you want a completed coop "no asssembly required" or can you swing a hammer?

David

PS I forgot to ask, how many chickens?

Last edited:
Another factor is your climate. If you live in a place with hot summers and mild winters, you may not want one of the traditional, closed up coops (too hot in summer). But if you live someplace with bitter cold winters, you'd probably want an insulated coop.

Lots of different variables to consider.

I have 2 of the Amish 4 x 6 coops that are board and batten design. They are the best and very very heavy, 700 to 800 pounds. You can find some similar ones on craigslist in Florida for $800.00 delivered. They are the exact same design but 5 x 8 in size, so a little more space.

You need to put between 6 and 10 chickens in each one or they will be overcrowded and the chickens will suffer.

DO NOT BUY the China imported coops, they are junk and warp in less than one year for $500.00 that is unacceptable.

A shed is your best bet and easiest to clean without having to break your back crouching in the other tiny coops.

Bigger is ALWAYS better.

Check your local craigslist.com too, there's several people in my area that make them for resale, very cute red/white barn style coops for $275 (holds 8 chickens, no run), and occasionally there's people selling their tractors, sheds, or even a child's wooden playhouse. I saw someone on here score a very cute little house for $150.

The shed's are exspensive, but durable and multi purpose. If we had the money, I wanted one of those 10x16 gable roofed sheds done to match the house, with a door on either end. Build a solid wall at the 10 ft mark, so that the front 10x10 area is for outdoor storage, and the back 6x10 area is for chickens. Placed in the yard on the edge, 30 feet from the back property line, so that the run would be behind it taking up that end of the yard. Giving the chickens 36x10 ft total. Then building a deck around the pond, with a seating area to look at the pond, pool, and chicken run. Add some landscaping, a cute wrought iron fence to seperate this lounge area from the dog area... it would be SO pretty.

But... it would also cost about $7,000 to do everything I have in mind. So, the chickens live in a recycled giant dog house for now with a run made out of scrap wood and scavenged materials. I banged my thumb three times with a hammer and broke a nail, but they're comfortable and my total cost was $100.

This site is great thank you to all who replied and keep them coming. I have 4 chickens we got them on Labor day weekend as chicks. Right now they are hanging out in a giant converted dog crate. But definately need more space. I live in Illinois so no mild winters ever and we only saw one 90 degree day this year so I need a hearty coop where they can stay warm. Inexpensive to me is the $400 range with no shipping. I would also like a decent size run for them as well. Keep the comments coming I really appreciate all the help if I can't find the right price or anything on craigslist I will try to convert a dog house or shed. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom