1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Where to Buy Chicks around Austin, TX???

Discussion in 'Chicks 1 Day to 8 Weeks Old' started by Teepov, Mar 23, 2015.

1. Teepov

Teepov Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2012
    Austin, TX
    Hello All,
    I'm trying to find someone or someplace that sells chicks in the Austin area, outside of the typical production varieties; not necessarily rare, but since I own chickens for their companionship [​IMG] and beauty, I like having interesting breeds and am not interested in their egg laying abundance.
    I had used Hill Country Poultry, but they are no longer in business. I have tried Callahan's, BuckMoore and Craigslist. Currently, however, none of these has many chicks, especially that aren't heavy production birds.

I am specifically looking for Dorkings and Faverolles, as I recently my two favorite and friendliest girls (who I miss so much!!), but I am interested in all breeds. If you know of anyone, or of a place please let me know! I prefer chicks to full grown hens or pullets.

You can PM me, email me: [email protected], or text: 850 591 4859.

Thank you so much!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
  2. paris_r

paris_r Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2011
    Nolanville TX
    i have silkies, sizzles and d'uccles but they are unsexed they are a month old or younger. i am about an hour away from you near Temple

3. ashley74

ashley74 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2015
    Central Texas

I have a question. Will you have any silkies end of May begining of June? I work for KISD and I want to be wait until we are on break. :) thank you.

4. paris_r

paris_r Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2011
    Nolanville TX
    yes, i have hatched out many of my own and more from mailed eggs from show lines, right now i am only culling the obvious (like foot irregularities) but i will have more to sell off later when i can see if i want them in my breeding program. i have about 45-50 i think, but that includes sizzles and showgirls. i also will be removing some breeders from my line.are you wanting really young ones or just chicks? i currently have more sizzles/silkies in the incubator right now set to hatch on 4/13.

5. ashley74

ashley74 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2015
    Central Texas

Honestly, it doesn't matter to much. I just prefer end of May time frame. If you don't mind letting me know if/when you will have some then? Thank you!!

6. sticknstring

sticknstring Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2012
    Dripping Springs , Texas
    a couple of places that come to mind that are worth looking into, Kings feed in Wimberly sells chicks(waterfowl, turkeys, chickens) this time of year. they get some interesting ones . The custom chicken coop(I think that is their name too) sells chicks in the spring. I picked up 3 Sicilian buttercup chicks last year-they are fantastic members of our flock. they do super well with our climate and surprisingly good layers too. There is a gentleman in marblefalls that has cream legbars, his name escapes me, hopefully he will chime in(he lurks BYC forum).
    I have marraduna basque (greenfire farm birds) that are super friendly. If you are interested in hatching some eggs, I'd be happy to help you.
    Good luck in your search!

1 person likes this.
  7. Crittercuddler

Crittercuddler Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2014
    TX
    There have been several craigslist adds for rare breeds in Leander lately. I have Blue/Black and Splash Copper Marans eggs if you want to hatch yourself and a few in the incubator due to hatch over the next couple of weeks. I've been hoping to find Golden Cuckoo Marans myslelf.

8. Crittercuddler

Crittercuddler Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2014
    TX
    Marraduna Basques look gorgeous.

9. Teepov

Apr 21, 2012
    Austin, TX
    great suggestions! thanks!

10. Teepov

Apr 21, 2012
    Austin, TX
    Thanks for the suggestions :)
    What breeds do you have fertilized eggs from?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by