Where to buy chicks in Puerto Rico?

ppatrick

Hatching
Jul 12, 2020
Hi,

I recently moved to Puerto Rico (San Juan area) and wonder where can I buy 4-5 egg laying chicks? I checked some online websites. They all required 15 chicks minimum. They don't even ship to PR :-( Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Patrick

Hi,

I recently moved to Puerto Rico (San Juan area) and wonder where can I buy 4-5 egg laying chicks? I checked some online websites. They all required 15 chicks minimum. They don't even ship to PR :-( Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Patrick
So there are places where you can by chickens, we call them master mix stores. Ask the locals, they will tell you. Ever consider hatching your own?
Glenda

So there are places where you can by chickens, we call them master mix stores. Ask the locals, they will tell you. Ever consider hatching your own?
Glenda
"Master mix store"? Can you provide the name in Spanish?

Hatching my own chicks sounds exciting. However with my busy life, I'm afraid of doing something wrong and end up with dead eggs. Is it better to hatch your own eggs? Wouldn't the chicks follow you everywhere because they think you're their mom? (imprinting)

Hi Patrick,
We just call them master mixes, it’s sort of a generic name, at least at the west side of the island (that’s where I’m from). Usually places that sell animal feed, have chickens for sale. Also pulgueros or flea markets got chickens and animals for sale. Tbh there are chickens all over the island.

on the west side of the Island, the town of San Sebastián do a market just to sell animals, but I’m sure due to Corona, it’s is probably cancelled.

I prefer hatching. Lots Incubators are mostly automatic. I own a brinsea...my husband claims I can hatch rocks on it! That’s how accurate those are! There’s tricks to ensure mailed eggs hatch, but it’s totally worth it. Yes, babies will follow you around and will make all kinds of noises when they see you coming. I just love them!

Most of my chickens been hatched from eggs. I’m into rare breeds, currently got around 70 on 1 acre. Gave a great day!
Glenda

Hi Glenda,

Thanks for detailed reply. Yes there are a bunch of chickens running around on the island. I almost thought that maybe I could abduct a few checks from the chickens (just kidding hehe :) Actually I'm looking for buy some checks to give to my friend in Vega Baja as a surprised gift. Couple years ago, a few checks arrived his house by accidental during the hurricane Marie. He raised them hoping that they would lay eggs one day. Disappointingly and funny, all grew up to be roosters :lau No eggs for him. For this reason, hatching would not work because the chick gender is uncertain.

Do Master Mixes and pulgueros accurately know the gender of the chicks for sales? I don't want to disappoint him with more roosters in the near future :)

Take care,
Patrick

Hi Glenda,

Thanks for detailed reply. Yes there are a bunch of chickens running around on the island. I almost thought that maybe I could abduct a few checks from the chickens (just kidding hehe :) Actually I'm looking for buy some checks to give to my friend in Vega Baja as a surprised gift. Couple years ago, a few checks arrived his house by accidental during the hurricane Marie. He raised them hoping that they would lay eggs one day. Disappointingly and funny, all grew up to be roosters :lau No eggs for him. For this reason, hatching would not work because the chick gender is uncertain.

Do Master Mixes and pulgueros accurately know the gender of the chicks for sales? I don't want to disappoint him with more roosters in the near future :)

Take care,
Patrick

Unfortunately they won’t guaranteed the gender. You will always find ppl that can accurately know the gender, but like I said, no guarantee. Maybe you can order from a hatchery in the US, the only issue is that the travel is very stressful for the babies.

Unfortunately they won’t guaranteed the gender. You will always find ppl that can accurately know the gender, but like I said, no guarantee. Maybe you can order from a hatchery in the US, the only issue is that the travel is very stressful for the babies.

Thanks for your reply. I would prefer to buy chicks home grown from the island. I guess I have to do some investigation on how to tell chick's gender -_-

In case if I need to order from the hatchery in the US and I don't need that many chicks, is there a "chicken shelter" in PR? Or somewhere that I could give away free chicks?

Thanks for your reply. I would prefer to buy chicks home grown from the island. I guess I have to do some investigation on how to tell chick's gender -_-

In case if I need to order from the hatchery in the US and I don't need that many chicks, is there a "chicken shelter" in PR? Or somewhere that I could give away free chicks?
Negative, at this point due to the economic status you can find farm animals roaming the streets. I got 14 dogs, 9 came from the streets.
About chickens sex, it’s not that hard to ID their characteristics.
Have a good night,
Glenda

Back
Top Bottom