where to buy diatomaceous earth (DE) locally? (in MI)

samana

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 30, 2011
I'm hoping I'll get lucky here and someone in west michigan has found a place that sells food grade DE? I'd love to get some.

If not, anyone know if Tractor Supply Co or Family Farm and Home will order it in for you?

I have no idea where to get this stuff, besides online sites I've found, thanks for any help
smile.png

samana

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 30, 2011
givin this a bump in case there's any Michiganders out there today
smile.png

Doopy

Songster
10 Years
Dec 16, 2009
Indiana, USA
Use your phone book (or other listing) and search for feed stores or farm stores. Call them and ask. Most rural feed stores or farm supply stores will know exactly what you need. Many farmers feed FGDE to livestock on a regular basis. You definitely do not want to use swimming pool filter DE. If you browse on youtube you will find several vids showing the use and application of DE on chickens. Good luck.

ChicwannaB

Songster
8 Years
May 22, 2011
Munger, MICHIGAN
Quote:
you have any luck finding it? I been searching online for days. costs a fortune for shipping, I'm looking for someplace I can drive to and pick it up myself, even if I have to go 100 miles.

JusticeFamilyFarm

Chirping
8 Years
May 27, 2011
Southern California
Quote:
you have any luck finding it? I been searching online for days. costs a fortune for shipping, I'm looking for someplace I can drive to and pick it up myself, even if I have to go 100 miles.

Ha... I'm having the same issue with AC for my goats. No where around here has it and the shipping is more than the AC costs itself!

Stacykins

Crowing
9 Years
Jan 19, 2011
Escanaba, MI
Well, you're in West MI. But if you are ever in Howell, I think Opa knows a place that sells it. My local feed store sells food grade DE in 40lb bags for 14$, but I am in the UP, no use to you.

Stacykins

Crowing
9 Years
Jan 19, 2011
Escanaba, MI
Quote:
Im still looking. whew!
Im in EAST Michigan. East Central Lower Peninsula.

OP said they are westerly
big_smile.png

Hopefully you can find a good place to buy it without breaking the bank!

t/m

Songster
8 Years
Jul 21, 2011
Smith Mountain Lake, VA
If you go to PermaGuard.com (a maker of food grade DE) they have a map, just click on your state and they'll tell you who sells it. I was lucky and found it fairly close. I'm in SW VA. Good luck!

Top Bottom