1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

where to buy diatomaceous earth (DE) locally? (in MI)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by samana, Apr 17, 2011.

1. samana

samana Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2011
    I'm hoping I'll get lucky here and someone in west michigan has found a place that sells food grade DE? I'd love to get some.

If not, anyone know if Tractor Supply Co or Family Farm and Home will order it in for you?

I have no idea where to get this stuff, besides online sites I've found, thanks for any help [​IMG]

2. samana

samana Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2011
    givin this a bump in case there's any Michiganders out there today [​IMG]

3. metbench1

metbench1 New Egg

Mar 13, 2010
    I got mine At Oxford Farm And Garden .nice people there

4. Doopy

Doopy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    Use your phone book (or other listing) and search for feed stores or farm stores. Call them and ask. Most rural feed stores or farm supply stores will know exactly what you need. Many farmers feed FGDE to livestock on a regular basis. You definitely do not want to use swimming pool filter DE. If you browse on youtube you will find several vids showing the use and application of DE on chickens. Good luck.

5. ChicwannaB

ChicwannaB Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2011
    Munger, MICHIGAN
    Quote:you have any luck finding it? I been searching online for days. costs a fortune for shipping, I'm looking for someplace I can drive to and pick it up myself, even if I have to go 100 miles.

6. JusticeFamilyFarm

JusticeFamilyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Southern California
    Quote:you have any luck finding it? I been searching online for days. costs a fortune for shipping, I'm looking for someplace I can drive to and pick it up myself, even if I have to go 100 miles.

Ha... I'm having the same issue with AC for my goats. No where around here has it and the shipping is more than the AC costs itself!

7. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Well, you're in West MI. But if you are ever in Howell, I think Opa knows a place that sells it. My local feed store sells food grade DE in 40lb bags for 14$, but I am in the UP, no use to you.

8. ChicwannaB

ChicwannaB Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2011
    Munger, MICHIGAN
    Quote:Im still looking. whew!
    Im in EAST Michigan. East Central Lower Peninsula.

9. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Quote:Im still looking. whew!
    Im in EAST Michigan. East Central Lower Peninsula.

OP said they are westerly [​IMG]

Hopefully you can find a good place to buy it without breaking the bank!

10. t/m

t/m Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Smith Mountain Lake, VA
    If you go to PermaGuard.com (a maker of food grade DE) they have a map, just click on your state and they'll tell you who sells it. I was lucky and found it fairly close. I'm in SW VA. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by