Masonry Sand vs River Sand

Lala-chicken

In the Brooder
Jun 24, 2023
Hi! What is the difference in masonry and river sand? I currently have construction grade sand in my coop and it isn't draining and drying very well. I need to add more sand and read that river sand is the way to go. In searching where to buy river sand to replace my existing sand, masonry sand keeps coming up. I found places online that sell river sand but are small bags (4oz for $7). I did find landscape places that could sell it in large scoops. Just wondering if there is much of a difference and where I could purchase in bigger bags and not scoops from Home Depot, Lowe's Tractor Supply, etc.

Thanks!

Why do you have so much water in your coop that the sand needs to drain? Sounds like you may have a leak problem that needs fixing first. Or did you mean the run and not the coop?

I think the idea is to have washed sand where the silt and dust is washed out of it. I think river sand is usually washed.

The other thing is to have larger sharp particles of different sizes that are not made of crushed quartz/silica (due to health impacts). I think masonry sand is very fine and also contains quartz.

There are no standards for the 'names' of sand.
Draining and drying would be a run scenario rather than a coop.
Pics of the area would help here..
...as well as knowing:
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1704315918558.png

Back
Top Bottom