Pumice Sand

jpccusa

Chirping
8 Years
Oct 23, 2015
Hello folks,

I am doing research on the best type of bedding for my large coop. So far, I am leaning on sand based on a few studies cited on this article.

One of the drawbacks of using sand is the weight. Not only does the coop must be strong to hold a couple of tons of the material, but I would also have to have a strong body to move it around during setup and every so often. It had me concerned.

Today I ran across a place nearby that sells "kitty litter pumice" (3/16"–1/16") as a soil mix, and I wonder if that could work instead of construction/river sand.

Any ideas? Has anyone ever used it in their coops successfully? Someone in this thread said turkey farmers use it as grit. Can you think of reasons why this would be a bad idea?

Sand is good as long as you do not have to move coop. I also would only keep sand if floor of coop was ground/earth, or a cement slab. (not movable)
What you are referring to as kitty litter stuff,,,,,,,, I would avoid that myself due to it getting fine particles, and dust.
I switched from kitty litter to this stuff in my litter boxes. (for my cats) Works well, and not dusty. Light in weight also. I am not the only person to do such. Found out about this from reading pet forums.
I have also read peeps using this same stuff inside their brooders for chick bedding. The chicks were not eating the pellets. They did scratch thru it though.
pellets.PNG

This one just happens to be sold out now,, but next one available.
pine pellets.PNG

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and :welcome
I know you have been around long time,, but not posting until now :highfive:

Thank you, CavemanRich!

I've been a lurker for quite some time. I lived in an apartment for many years, but I knew the day would come when I could finally have chickens.

Anyway, thanks for the information on the pumice sand. I've used the pellets you mentioned in my litterbox as well. I wrote an Instructables about it here.

Back
Top Bottom