Construction/River/Masonry Sand For Coop? Links for Online Purchase?

UPDATE

I got play sand at Lowes - Sakrete - and it actually was really good. It had some pebbles and gravel and was natural.

Then I added some chick grit and some real red desert sand from Australia (I have extra from my bearded dragons but this stuff is expensive so will not be a repeat addition).

Then finally, I added 15 lb Sweet PDZ zeolite :) I have some happy chicks. (I have added more zeolite since this photo, so the sand is a little lighter now, but that's pretty much it)
IMG_5521.JPG

Anyone interested in how I built the tunnel DM me :D this chickies love their new 300 gal home (2 x 150 gal containers) - there is also 6"x 8" a heating pad on both sides under the sand that acts like a sand warmer, so sometimes they don't even go under the eco-glow.
1619447166612.png

IMG_5536.JPG
IMG_5532.jpg
IMG_5534.jpg

Good point. I’ll write that up in here tomorrow and share the materials I used 🙂 since this was about sand wasn’t sure if I should change subject
Well, it's your thread, so you can change the topic of you want :D
Better yet, might want to write up the whole brooder build in an article,
then you can share the link easily...and enter it in a contest(too bad one just ended)

Hi Everyone,

I'm extremely interested in using river sand for my coops. Wanted to hear some pros and cons, and, I know from other threads that most people go to their local quarry and get some. Is there anyone who gets it online? I'd like to make an online purchase, and I'd love to know if this is possible.

If you get it online, can you post the link here? I can't find safe-looking river sand anywhere.

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and I hope to lean from those who
have chickens and other feathered companions. When I first read about river sand and the need for a more clean - sanitary sand, I thought about the "washed river sand" that I used in creating, from scratch, boun fresco. I have a Bachelor's of fine art and this sand is used in the art world. It is specific & very clean. No mica, salts, critter droppings etc... It needs to be rinsed a little. I was wondering if this type of sand would work for chickens etc...? I look forward to hearing what others have to share.

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and I hope to lean from those who
have chickens and other feathered companions. When I first read about river sand and the need for a more clean - sanitary sand, I thought about the "washed river sand" that I used in creating, from scratch, boun fresco. I have a Bachelor's of fine art and this sand is used in the art world. It is specific & very clean. No mica, salts, critter droppings etc... It needs to be rinsed a little. I was wondering if this type of sand would work for chickens etc...? I look forward to hearing what others have to share.
Good morning @QwnBee! I use natural, washed, coarse grain river sand in my entire set up, including the nest boxes. I buy it by the 14-ton dump truck load from our local quarry, delivered. We also use it around the property for pathways, barn flooring, etc. It works well for our needs as we have a LOT of clay in our soil, so mixing the sandy poop into the rest of the compost and then into the garden does wonders. Here’s what it looks like:

0DE51ABE-D211-4439-BCB4-03D8901001E8.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom