Construction/River/Masonry Sand For Coop? Links for Online Purchase?

meepANDpeep

Songster
Mar 6, 2021
Hi Everyone,

I'm extremely interested in using river sand for my coops. Wanted to hear some pros and cons, and, I know from other threads that most people go to their local quarry and get some. Is there anyone who gets it online? I'd like to make an online purchase, and I'd love to know if this is possible.

If you get it online, can you post the link here? I can't find safe-looking river sand anywhere.

update - i looked at pictures of it, and it doesn't look too fine at all (that particular brand you sent) - I was thinking like the really powdery stuff
I’m a new chicken owner and new to caring for them myself (my 3 girls will be 1 year old end of May). I went with sand initially because I could keep it clean, but I have a small setup compared to many on BYC, and scooping & keeping dry isn’t a big deal. I like that there are no flies and it’s inexpensive (unless you have lots of wood chips and clippings to do deep litter which is cheapest). I tried deep litter over the fall & winter but ran out of clippings so supplemented with hemp. I’m going to add an open air run, and after the grass is destroyed, I’m going to use wood chips hopefully from a free source. I think the girls prefer the chips, leaves, etc, but I’m more comfortable with sand in their 80 square foot run.

I used the sand from Lowe’s and worried it was the “wrong kind.” It was dusty and I worried about that, but all of us did fine. Now I’m using “screenings” from the quarry and I’m worried it’s not river sand. I find the droppings dry better with this compared to Lowe’s general use sand though.
What I’ve discovered in my short time as a chicken owner is that sand works for some folks but not others. Same with deep litter. Try the sand and see how it does. You can always change. And if you’re like me, you’re always gonna worry no matter what you do :D

UPDATE

I got play sand at Lowes - Sakrete - and it actually was really good. It had some pebbles and gravel and was natural.

Then I added some chick grit and some real red desert sand from Australia (I have extra from my bearded dragons but this stuff is expensive so will not be a repeat addition).

Then finally, I added 15 lb Sweet PDZ zeolite :) I have some happy chicks. (I have added more zeolite since this photo, so the sand is a little lighter now, but that's pretty much it)
IMG_5521.JPG

Anyone interested in how I built the tunnel DM me :D this chickies love their new 300 gal home (2 x 150 gal containers) - there is also 6"x 8" a heating pad on both sides under the sand that acts like a sand warmer, so sometimes they don't even go under the eco-glow.
1619447166612.png

IMG_5536.JPG
IMG_5532.jpg
IMG_5534.jpg

I have been using construction grade sand in my run and elsewhere for all my life. Have children playing with it in their sandboxes also.
I know some peeps are for sand and others are against. Its like the Hatfield's, and McCoy's.
I could find some threads where peeps get at each-others nerves with their comments/posts. I think moderators removed the toxic ones.

If you were going to get it online, that would mean small quantity, with a high postage price. Sand is heavy, unless you were looking to purchase one pound of it for your parrot cage.

It would also be good if you posted your location in your profile. Not your address, just general area, If you would be in nearby area, I could tell you exactly where to get some, and reasonably priced.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome

Back
Top Bottom