where to buy feed - feed store, internet?

Maluka

Hatching
11 Years
Jan 8, 2009
If any of you are in "urban" settings, I was wondering, where do you buy feed?

Can you find feed stores in urban areas, or do you order on the internet? Which is the best deal?

Thanks for your help!

Many urban areas have nearby rural areas.
smile.png

I'm in a city of about 200,000 and yet I've got a store that sells feed just 3 miles away - in downtown of all places! - and another one in the next city over.

My biggest surprise was that the downtown store is an avian supply store and sells locally-grown feed (YAY!). the big farm supply store about 15 miles away sells their own brand. I prefer the locally grown, as do my girls. It's a bit more expensive but I'm supporting local farms and a local shop owner.

We live outside of the bigger towns around here. We buy from the feed store in town. It is the best deal. Some little mom and pops stores out here sell feed but we like to stick to the same feed we usually feed and not switch unless there is just no choice.

I agree I would think shipping would be just to much for you. Seeing how most ship by weight and you are talking about 50 lb bags
th.gif

I live in a fairly urban area but there are a couple horse "farms" in nearby towns. Really they are more boarding stables than farms.

Anyway, there is a small feed supply store a couple towns over. They sell mostly dog food, bird seed and some deer treats. They have very little in the way of chicken stuff and stock just basic chicken feed. However, anytime I have needed anything for the chickens they order it for me and have it within a week.

I would try to find any kind of pet supply, horse tack shop, something like that, and see if they can order what you need for the chickens.

I am in a suburban area. I can drive out to the country and go to a few feed stores, or I can go close to downtown and there is a Circle F. An independent pet store 2 minutes from my house also has chicken feed, but sometimes they run out.

I looked online at feed prices and the cost to ship them was almost as much as the feed price itself, if not more. Try local, large scale stores like Tractor Supply Company, Big R, etc. You can always google "feed store" for your area to see if there are any around. Sometimes your local pet stores or vet can order it for you a bit cheaper.

Good luck to you!

Our local places don't have websites online. If you have the same problem in your case. Check out the yellow pages or ask around
smile.png

If you have more choices in your area and a Tractor Supply. Tractor Supply will match the price. But I prefer to buy from the smaller locally owned places and support my local business man. But that is my opinion.

I was in Tractor Supply yesterday and waited and waited for help with getting a vacinne for my donkey. No one ever came after the guy page for me. 3 year old got so restless in there I just headed to check out and bought the 3 things I had and left
duc.gif

Another reason to love the local business man. They will do all they can to get you to come back, usually
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom