Where to buy grit?

Keisha

Songster
12 Years
Apr 27, 2007
Iowa
I was wondering where you can buy grit at, and what grit is the best kind? (brand or ...) I have 5 weeks old chicks that i would like to start getting treats, as with older hens and roosters. So it would be nice if i could just get one bag that the both of them could eat. I also have chicks in the brooder thta are maybe 2 weeks old, but are bantams so much slower growers. So if they can eat the same stuff the 5 weekers and older ones can that would be great, but if they cant they cant. It would be nice to get just one bag of grit.

For little ones, try parakeet grit that you can pick up at pet food store or grocery pet food aisle. Some people use sand, but I had really great results with this. When they got a little older, around 10-12 wks, I got chick grit (a bit smaller than regular) at feed store.
Good luck!

I have a hard time finding grit locally. The "experts" at the feed store don't know what it is.
I buy grit/gravel at Walmart in a small box in the pet dept. It's used for parakeets and such. Sprinkle it on the chicks food like we put salt on food.
Some people say it is in the chick starter feed, but I guess I don't see it listed or know what it is called in the ingredient list. So until my chicks are old enough to go outside to scratch around, I add the grit on their food.

Last edited:
Okay, so them i'll see what they have at my local farm & home store, and if they dont have anythign then i'll make a trip to wal-mart. thanks everyone!
I am so glad someone posted this... I thought I was the only moron that couldn't find it. Tractor Supply here doen't have it, I guess I'll try the co op.

Nope theres me too
big_smile.png
!​

Quote:
How is it listed on the label? My medicated starter has ground limestone, but nothing that appears to be a grit sized stone on the label.

Dixie- my TSC had chick grit, I'd ask them to order some I know they could get it. It was about $5.00. Although I used the parakeet grit from Walmart when my babies were tiny its $2.00 for a small box.

Back
Top Bottom