1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Where to buy Roosters?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Knight1992, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Knight1992

Knight1992 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2012
    wondering were i could buy roosters in a store or online

2. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

You can buy 'roosters only' from hatcheries, from Craigs List and from folks here on BYC in the buy-sell-trade section.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  3. kichohana

kichohana Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Johnston County, NC
    Second that! Definitely check out your Craigs List. I started out with 6 sexed pullets from a hatchery. Loved them, name them and bonded with them. Then, about 4-5 months into my chicken project, my 2 SLW "pullets" started crowing like mad during a thunderstorm. Put them on Craigslist the next day and they were gone. I see roosters on Craigslist for sale all the time, and occasionally for free. Search the ads, and even put one out there stating that you are looking for roosters. You'll get replies! [​IMG]

4. CAjerseychick

CAjerseychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2012
    Northern California!
    I think I have 3- 5 roos(Jersey Giants), where are you if you want one of mine.... I am in Nevada City, CA....

5. atrex

atrex New Egg

Jul 28, 2013
    can some one help me ,i need a rooster ,my rudy got killed this week along with 9 hens, so i need a rooster

6. mithious

mithious Chillin' With My Peeps

I would NEVER buy off Craigs list, the tractor store, the newspaper...would stick to well known hatcheries, or BYC breeders...too many sick birds, or carriiers of disease, on Craigs list and the other places!!!!

7. atrex

atrex New Egg

Jul 28, 2013
    So far I have got all Of my chicks through the so-called tractor store I have had no problem with them so far, Something came in my yard this week and killed nine of my 18 hens and my rooster.

8. Jharper

Jharper Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2012
    Tifton, Ga
    Where are ya from? I have plenty of young beautiful EE/Cochin bantam mixes.
    [​IMG]
    I wish I had a better picture. I'm from Ga by the way.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
  9. MalMom

MalMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2013
    Colorado
    You can also check your local animal shelters. This time of year there are lots of homeless roosters from people who got "pullet" chicks in the spring only to wind up with a roo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by