where to find cocci meds and cocci meds + ivomec

rizq

Songster
11 Years
Oct 9, 2008
Tennessee
Will start by saying that I can't get a vet here to run a fecal because they don't treat farm animals. I am having trouble with one group of chickens which is relatively new. Just out of quarantine and now they are sick! The chickens act fine, until a little bit before they die. Then they sit all hunched and fluffed up with their eyes closed. They are cold. Then they die. We lost one yesterday, one this morning, and had one that looked ill this evening. I have noticed runny poo and some blood in poo once a couple days ago. They also have lice (hence the ivomec).

I went today to pick up meds and got the ivomec, but I am having trouble finding cocci meds. My TSC and Co-op don't carry any chicken meds but Wazine. Would really like to find it locally, if anyone has any other suggestions. If I can't find somewhere to get it tomorrow I guess I will have to order online (I have had one site suggested that ships very quickly, but am open to any suggestions).

Also was wondering how long I have to wait after treating with topical ivomec eprinex before treating for cocci, I don't want to poison them but don't want them to keep dying from being sick either.

Tractor Supply should carry sulmet and corid. Ask for the manager and find out for sure. This kind of stuff is what tractor supply is for so I would be very surprised if they dont have it. Just ask for it by product name, not 'a med for cocci'.

If you already have the eprinex, do that today. Just a little squirt on the shoulder blades. It works very quickly. Tomorrow you can start sulmet or corid for cocci.

Check on the lice again a day after the eprinex treatment, the eprinex does not kill all exterior parasites. You may need to dust with something else.

It sounds as though you are on the right track here in treating them. Best of luck to you, I am praying you dont lose anymore.

Do a search online, jeffers supply, poultryman supply all carry it. It's worth checking around as there is a big difference in price!

Steve in NC

Quote:
Thanks for the info! I knew someone would know
big_smile.png

Thanks everyone
smile.png

I did find Corid at our Co-op ... they had been out, that's why I didn't find it before. They also had Sulmet, which I had just overlooked. I opted for the Corid.

Our TSC does not have either medication. I looked again today and asked. They have Corid, but it is in globulets (or something like that) which are 2-3 inch long cow pills. Where I used to like, TSC was much better stocked than it is here. I thought that with as many people as there are with chickens in the area that the chicken section would be well stocked. Of course there is not much space for raising cattle here, so perhaps that is why the lack of cow meds. AND most people around here seem to have very strange ideas on how to treat problems. I was told that for worming chickens you just needed to put a splash of bleach in their water. If that was the case, then using city water would kill parasites not only in our chickens, but in our dogs and cats too, would it not? Didn't seem like sound advice to me, at any rate.

So the chooks have all had ivomec eprinex, and those that showed symptoms of cocci (they are in differents groups) have also gotten Corid. The hen that acted sick this morning seemed to be slightly perkier this evening, hopefully she'll pull through. The two roos never acted sick. All together, from that pen of 7 chickens, we lost 4 in the last 3 days (including my mom's favorite hen ... these are her chooks that are sick). Hopefully we now have it under control and the poor babies get to feeling better. I just don't really understand how they got it as this group is in a wire cage and has been since we got them over a month ago. Is it possible they were harboring this since we got them (when they were on the ground) and the turn in the weather stressed them to point that they were overwhelmed by it? How likely is it that they got it while housed on wire?

Back
Top Bottom