Where to find find cornish cross chicks in winter

Talked to Moyer, they only hatch out the broilers throughout the winter. This Tuesday is their last hatch for layers. I was told the broilers seem to do better in cold weather as they are bigger chicks.

Nothing was said about the regulations though. However he did say that if temps get extremely cold they just wait till the next week to ship them out. I guess they hatch every day so it's not a big deal to find broilers homes. I'm guessing they have bigger contracts lined up.

I would be sad for any chick shipped since last wednesday. The amount of snow we have had I cannot imagine in any way the chicks were kept warm coming to the east coast.

My last box was DOA. And the PO delivered them like that. That sat from friday to monday on a loading dock and no one tried to warm them or give them water.
sad.png

That's horrible...

The guy I talked to said that the broiler chicks are much more cold tolerant when they are day old then the layers. So that might have something to do with it.

I don't know how the weather is anywhere else but we have had unseasonably warm weather here in Massachusetts, to the point where we only just broke out the winter coats this morning.
Last week was nice here when I got my chicks, but I wouldn't chance delivery from here on out.
My postman brings the chicks right to my door first thing in the morning when they arrive on the truck.
The garlic which should be dormant is sprouting because of the warm sunny weather we have been having.
My bees have been seen going in and out of the hive where they should already be in for the winter.
Usually its pretty cold here by November but I have been wearing flip flops and a light windbreaker until this weekend.
We had our first snow on Saturday night, just a light one though, no shoveling required.
Very strange here for this time of year.

Well your in for a treat.... I'm going to blow the cold weather your way. It's suppose to hit us on thursday... should hit you guys shortly after.

Nice cold front comin your way..... I will gladly blow it your way from Ohio...
big_smile.png

Aww, Jeff aren't you sweet to share your lovely weather with us? I know how much you love that biting cold wind that makes your ears ache.
Especially when its got big chunks of icy slushy snow in it that sticks to your face and eyelashes and you can't wipe your face because you are carrying something and how the slush on the ground creeps over your shoes and into your socks when you think you don't need to put on a pair of boots yet.
Then your hands get so cold that you can't tie your shoes because your fingers won't bend properly to make a bow.
Then you shovel and shovel all day until your back aches so bad you can't lift one more shovelful and then the snow plow comes by and pushes all of the heaviest icy snow back into the end of your driveway(and I swear the guy is smirking) effectively trapping you in until you shovel again.
Many times this all before you leave for work in the morning or have to drive the kids to school.
Yup, gotta love that beautiful weather.
Had our fair share of that growing up here in New England but this year has been crazy warm, the experts are predicting the worst winter in years so not too anxious for it to start.
Last year the only son I had that was old enough to help shovel had knee surgery right before all the snow came and he couldn't help, yes I know he was heart broken over it.
lol.png

This year I am getting a snow blower though, enough is enough.
I'll be thinking of you on Thursday
lol.png

big_smile.png

I have no idea of what your talking about!! I dream of beaches and warm sun during this time of year.

Being right next to Lake Erie, we get our fair share of lake effect snow and cold days. Oh man... the loving northeast!

Back
Top Bottom