Where to find good info on Beekeeping

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by TundraChick, Oct 12, 2007.

1. TundraChick

TundraChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2007
    West Viriginia
    I would like to get into Beekeeping. I have no idea where to start. Anyone have some ideas on good reading? Any pointers? [​IMG]

2. joanm

joanm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2007
    I bought Beekeeping For Dummies. I'm half way through it and it seems thorough.

3. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

I agree with "Beekeeping for Dummies" It is great for beginners! We started our hive this spring and learned alot from this book. We got started through our local Beekeeping club. They supplied us with a "mentor" to help us whenever we needed it. You can also contact your County Extension Office who should be able to put you in contact with local beekeepers.

Most Beekeepers are very willing to help "newbees" get started. As each hive only covers a 2 to 3 mile area, more beekeepers are better! And remember, most states require that hive be registered and subject to inspection for disease - this is a good thing!

If you have any questions about getting started, let me know and I will help however I can.

[​IMG]

4. ZuniBee

ZuniBee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2007
    Zuni, Virginia
    Beekeeping is great and the honey is out of this world! I have seven hives and will be expanding in the spring. The absolutely best place to learn is Beemaster.com forums. John even has a beginning beekeepers course you can take for free. The members of the forum are extremely nice and love to help newbies. I also have some links to get material on the links section of my website - ZuniBeeFarms.com. You can see some good bee videos and others on zunibee.com.

If you ever have any questions please feel free to ask. If I don't know the answer I can certainly point you to someone that does.

I must warn you, beekeeping is just as addictive as chickens! [​IMG]

5. MarkR

MarkR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    Ivy, Virginia
    The combination of chickens and bees is awesome indeed.

You might like to check out:

The Beemaster Forum

or

the Bee Source Forum

They're both excellent and are filled with knowledgable people who are more than willing to help.

Mark

PS Hey Zunibee, how's it going

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by