where to find my ordinances?

spencepoint

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 27, 2013
I am looking at starting a backyard coop. I am in Illinois. We have a Rockford address but pay Winnebago county taxes. We do live in a rural wooded subdivision with one plus acre lots. I am not sure where to begin as far as ordinances. I do not believe our subdivision has a bylaw that states no fowl, so I would be fine to have them because we are county taxed right? I know the houses a mile or so away have them, but they are not in a "subdivision".

Subdivions are the most likely to restrict. Read the indentures.
Are you inside a city limit?
That would be the city where you can get a copy of ordinances.

We have an HOA. I requested our covenants and restrictions. Pretty sure I'm going to get shot down :(

We have 3 people in our local chicken group in 3 different subdivisions going to court now over this.

A buddy of mine says his subdivision of 9 homes on 3 acre lots doesn't allow chickens - but he can have a rhinoceros.

Last edited:
Well, I just looked at our by laws, covenants and restrictions, it does not say that we have any restrictions as far as animals. So I am assuming this would mean that it is ok? I would only be looking at doing 2-3 hens a SMALL coop. I can always see how it goes and relocate them to my family members if there are issues.

I'd say you're safe. No mention of animals in bylaws and not in a city limit - go for at least 4 chickens or 2 per family member. Once you have fresh eggs in your backyard you'll use many more. Chickens die. Chickens are social animals and need friends but adding more later if you lose any is difficult.

Back
Top Bottom