Where to get cheap hardware cloth?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by hensandchickscolorado, May 29, 2011.

1. hensandchickscolorado

hensandchickscolorado Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Englewood Colorado
    Man, is hardware cloth expensive!

And I have a lot of it to buy if to build a 4x10 (or so) run with an apron and reinforce the bottom of a fence.

I've only been to the big box hardware stores and I've found a few deals on Amazon...but is there a secret way to buy some inexpensive hardware cloth that I don't know about?

Everyone keeps talking about how inexpensive it is to build coops...but from what I can see, most coops have a lot of hardware cloth. How is eveyone building so cheaply??

And--what is the best way to cut the stuff?

2. Chucken

Chucken Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2011
    NorCal SF East Bay
    I started attaching 1/2" hardware cloth to the coop/run I am making for my daughter and used wire side cutters. Cut right through it.
  3. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    There is no cheap hardware cloth that I know of. But I bought mine at my local family owned Blue Seal Feed, and because I shop there a lot and because I was buying a large quantity, they did give me a discount on it, so it's worth asking if you're buying a substantial amount. Turned out to be much cheaper than at Lowe's or the bigger places.

PS: And yes, wire cutters or tin snips cut right through it easily.
    Last edited: May 29, 2011
  4. Cpntherfan

Cpntherfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Lancaster S.C
    1 person likes this.
  5. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    The best place is craigslist. I purchased for roll 4'x150' for $60 poultry wire. I share 2 rolls with other and keep the 2.
  6. chicken995

chicken995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2011
    Northern Colorado
    The Great Plains Hardware store has good prices online. Even after shipping it is substantially cheaper than Lowe's or Home Depot.
  7. rebel-rousing-at-night

rebel-rousing-at-night Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Thanks,I added it to my favorites.
  8. AngelzFyre

AngelzFyre Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    I've also seen where people have used the lath cloth that you put up before stuccoing a house or wall. It's cheaper by far.
    1 person likes this.
  9. reddog1970

reddog1970 Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2011
    Cape Cod
    The CNS link is a really good price, just not sure how much shipping will add to it. I bought mine at Lowes and it wasn't cheap. It made my run cost almost as much as my coop. I bought (6) 36" x 25' rolls of 1/2'.
  10. georgiagail

georgiagail Chillin' With My Peeps

CSN offers free shipping on their hardware cloth. That's a considerable savings aside from the actual cost of the product.

We bought our first roll of 36", 100 foot locally for around $140. The second one (from CSN) was under $100.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by