where to get chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickencarsten, Dec 14, 2008.

1. chickencarsten

chickencarsten Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2008
    ipswich massachusetts
    i was thinking about getting 12 chickens in the spring. i want to get the chicks from ideal poultry. has anyone got chicks from there?[​IMG]

2. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

I haven't ordered from a hatchery before, but I have gotten hatchery chicks - our local Feed Store gets chicks in the spring, but they use Mt. Healthy Hatchery.

I am not sure I'll be buying from Ideal. They intend to begin selling Columbian Rocks as Delawares next spring - I think that is very sad - I want Delawares, and I would not want someone selling me something else and telling me it was a Delaware. Makes me wonder what else they would lie about.

meri

3. Chickenfortress

Chickenfortress Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    I have. My last order was from ideal. The chicks all arrived fine, and we lost one a week or so later. One was cross beaked, and it died after a while too. Minimum order was 25. I plan to buy from them again this spring, maybe 50 birds total. The only complaint i had was that they were a little too liberal with the dye. Some of the marked birds had color in their eyes.

4. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

Oh, btw - I think Ideal has a 25 minimum, or else they charge you extra - and it turns out costing the same as if you buy 25 anyway, even if you only get 12.

mypetchicken you can buy as few as 3 (again, they charge extra though, to make up for heat pads and the like).

Cackle Hatchery you can get 15 - which wouldn't be much more than 12. I have not researched Cackle Hatchery, but if I do buy some chicks next spring, I will probably do so from them, as I do not need 25 chicks, either - I already have quite a few chickens.

I have checked their site, and I can get 5 each of Delaware, White Rock and Buff Orpington for about 47 bucks shipped. That's not a bad price, IMO.

They say you have to buy a minimum of 5 of each breed, and a minimum total of 15. Shipping is 15 bucks for that amount.

http://www.cacklehatchery.com/default.html

here's the link, if you want to check them out.

meri

5. MariposaMama

MariposaMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Mariposa, CA
    My chicks came from Ideal and I'm very happy with them. I ordered a surprise assortment and got a great mix. There were a few more packing peanuts than I'd hoped, but all were Cochins and I found a lady who was thrilled to buy my extras.

My crowd is 13 weeks old now, I didn't lose any. All are happy and healthy, and as soon as I can convince hubby to let me, I'll be ordering more from them. [​IMG]

Edit to add: Ideal does not have a minumun number of chicks order, just a $25. minimun order amount. I only ordered 12 chicks, it's just that they sent 8 packing peanuts along with them. I think unless the weather is really warm, you can count on getting more than you order.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2008
  6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I bought some juvenilles recently from a "grower" here in the Phoenix area.

She swears by Cackle as the very best hatchery and she always orders 100 chicks at a time... says they are the best in price and never has a dead arrival and few losses after they arrive.

The birds we bought had been crowded a bit, but they look healthy. One of the Leghorns we got just laid an egg! She is a small hen but it was a jumbo white egg! There was a rooster in the pen so we are saving the egg to put under our broody on Wednesday... I don't want a staggered hatch under my broody.

7. waynesgarden

waynesgarden Feathers of Steel

Mar 30, 2008
    Oxford County
    Yep, I've ordered several times from Ideal and they made the trip from Texas to New England in good condition. I'd try to order from a hatchery closer to home if I could but none carry the breed I like (except some closer Canadian hatcheries that won't ship to the US.)

Wayne

Last edited: Dec 14, 2008
  8. FrChuckW

FrChuckW Father to all, Dad to none

Sep 7, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    I just got my first shipment from Ideal. I ordered the assorted 25 pullet standard layers. They arrived fine and in good condition. The only thing I forgot to do was to have them tell me what breeds I got. Oh Well!

You can also check out Meyers Hatchery, they also will ship as few as 3 chicks now but there is a small order charge which includes an upgrade to Express Shipping and a heating pad

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by