Where to get chicks

I am wondering if I should get chicks for tractor supply or shipped from my pet chicken

• Total voters
I live in showlow Arizona and am wanting Easter eggers partrage rocks and some dark and light brhamas.

Hi, I'm in Arizona too. Most of the feed stores and the Tractor Supply stores around here order the chicks from Privettes hatchery in New Mexico, because it's closer. We do have a member in our Arizona states thread that has a flock of EE's, but she doesn't hatch them. She has however sold hatching eggs from her flock locally.

I believe Tractor Supply and My Pet Chicken use a variety of hatcheries. I would cut out the middleman and order from the hatchery directly. With the number of chicks you are looking for you won't get blasted with the *small order shipping fee*. You would likely have the option of ordered sexed chicks as well, which is a nice bonus.

May I suggest Cackle Hatchery? :) They supply the breeds you're after, at a reasonable price. Quality is quite nice, too. While Meyer's also wonderful, and I've had the best of experiences with them, Cackle happens to be located a little closer to your area (meaning slightly shorter shipping time, hopefully).

~Alex

Welcome! I've ordered chicks by mail numerous times, and found Cackle and MurrayMcMurray very good. I'm in Michigan, and have no experience with Privet. If it's within your driving distance, consider that as an option. Order early to get the breeds you are interested in, and have shipping during reasonable weather. Too hot will be as bad as too cold!
With hatchery chicks, they can be vaccinated against Marek's disease, which is good. Don't bother with the coccidiosis 'vaccine' though, it's not really useful, IMO.
If you are new with chickens, consider ordering more varieties! You may find breeds that appeal to you more than anticipated, and others that sounded interesting, and weren't.
Have you looked at Henderson's breed chart? Pay attention to cold/ heat tolerance! If you are in an area with very hot summers, avoid those cute fluffy big birds that do so well here!
Mary

So far overall I think Meyer is the best place...my shipping for 50 birds is $10. Would still be $10 if I ordered 100. My total for fry pan special was $35.50...and they guarantee live arrival and added 2 free extra birds.

I found for t0 chicks it is cheaper from mcmurray
I buy a lot of Privett chicks as that who supplies many Colorado feed stores due to its proximity. The greatest benefit of buying from a feed store is chicks have recovered from the stress of shipping and any loss has occurred on their watch. You can usually pick out individual birds so your EEs can all look different. Feed stores get a screaming deal on pricing so once you figure in the cost of shipping, their prices will be inline with what you will pay directly from the hatchery. Any feed store will special order chicks for you . Your order will also go to the front of the line tagging on to a feed store as their order is 100x more vital to the bottom line.
Privett hatches year round and January is an excellent time to start a batch of chicks.

Back
Top Bottom