Where to get chicks

I am wondering if I should get chicks for tractor supply or shipped from my pet chicken

• Total voters
I believe Tractor Supply and My Pet Chicken use a variety of hatcheries. I would cut out the middleman and order from the hatchery directly. With the number of chicks you are looking for you won't get blasted with the *small order shipping fee*. You would likely have the option of ordered sexed chicks as well, which is a nice bonus.

I am wanting some chicks, but the breeds I want are to standard, but I am worried about the chicks.
What exactly are you worried about?

Oh, and, Welcome to BYC @Ace135!
Where in this world are you located?
Climate is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2018-11-28_16-53-43.png

I am wanting some chicks, but the breeds I want are to standard, but I am worried about the chicks.
Where do you live? MPC drop ships from Ohio. I've ordered from them several times and have always received my chicks within 2 days-I live in the Kansas City area. Of the 40 or so chicks I've ordered from them, I've had zero sexing errors, no dead on arrivals. I did cull 2 that were not well and would not have survived but I'll take these odds. If you are on the east side of the country I wouldn't hesitate to use them.

I personally prefer to get them at a feed store because they're the ones that absorb any losses (I don't want to open a box and find dead chicks) and it also gives you the opportunity to get a good look at the chicks you're getting. I'm one of those people at the feed store telling the employee working the chick area "No, not that one, grab the one running away! Grab 2 different colors!" etc.

A local private breeder is also an option if especially if there's more unusual breeds you're interested in.

If you're planning to get a LOT of chicks, then costwise it'd probably be cheapest to have them shipped, as the feed store marks up prices since they need to turn a profit.

I personally prefer to get them at a feed store because they're the ones that absorb any losses (I don't want to open a box and find dead chicks) and it also gives you the opportunity to get a good look at the chicks you're getting. I'm one of those people at the feed store telling the employee working the chick area "No, not that one, grab the one running away! Grab 2 different colors!" etc.

A local private breeder is also an option if especially if there's more unusual breeds you're interested in.

If you're planning to get a LOT of chicks, then costwise it'd probably be cheapest to have them shipped, as the feed store marks up prices since they need to turn a profit.
I was wanting a about 35 to 40 chicks

Back
Top Bottom