Votes: 13 36.1%
  • Ideal

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • Cackle

Votes: 11 30.6%
  • Mt. Healthy

Votes: 3 8.3%

• Total voters
Townline Hatchery in Zeeland Michigan. It is family owned for over 100 Years. I have ordered online and been happy. I also found a nearby store that sells them. I would go there rather than TSC.
Our local TSC (Lowell, MI) gets their chicks from Townline. I think several of the TSCs and other places that sell chicks in the spring do too.

I once called them to see if they had Blue Australorps. No, do not, never have. The guy who answered the phone was VERY knowledgeable about their breeds. He definitely wasn't "Just someone who answers the phone and takes orders."

Sally PB I did not know TSC used Townline. My two TSC's do not. I don't think you are any closer to Townline. Kudos for TSC buying Michigan made!

My black Australorp roosters come from Townline. Beautiful birds.

We've ordered only from Hoover's Hatchery twice, 8 months apart. All 30 chicks from the two combined orders arrived alive and healthy and stayed that way. We have 28 birds now because two brown leghorns died, one at 6 months of age and one at 8 months, and the hatchery was in no way responsible for that. The necropsy on the second bird gave the cause of death as ruptured liver, although the keel was easily palpable and she weighed just 4.3 lbs, so she wasn't obese. We assume that the first bird died of the same thing but can't confirm it. Hoover's has a 100% live/healthy chick record with us, though. The second order of chicks contained an obvious runt that probably should have been culled. She's healthy but seems to have a TBI. She doesn't lay so she's a freeloader, but she's also very small and doesn't eat much. Otherwise we're quite satisfied with the company and just wish they didn't have a high 15-bird minimum for shipping.

Sally PB I did not know TSC used Townline.
I've heard a TSC employee say something like, "Well, the chick truck arrives on Tuesdays..." which makes me think that either TSC goes to Townline and gets the chicks, or Townline delivers. That makes sense: delivery eliminates shipping through the PO. I'm sure there are still deaths, but it seems that there would be fewer.

Sally PB I did not know TSC used Townline. My two TSC's do not. I don't think you are any closer to Townline. Kudos for TSC buying Michigan made!

My black Australorp roosters come from Townline. Beautiful birds.
No Tractor Supply doesn’t use Townline. They are Hoovers quality chicks. If you have ever noticed the signs marking the different breeds of chicks are 1. Hoover themed. 2. They say Hoovers Hatchery at the bottom too.

No Tractor Supply doesn’t use Townline. They are Hoovers quality chicks. If you have ever noticed the signs marking the different breeds of chicks are 1. Hoover themed. 2. They say Hoovers Hatchery at the bottom too.
TSC in some areas of Michigan use Townline (as Townline is a Michigan Hatchery).

I only have experience with Meyer, and I live about 30 min away so it's a no-brainer for me. I picked up my first order from them in summer 2023 and had one male. After some back and forth via email, they credited me.
Picking up a few Green Queens and a batch of meat chicks this coming April.

I've heard a TSC employee say something like, "Well, the chick truck arrives on Tuesdays..." which makes me think that either TSC goes to Townline and gets the chicks, or Townline delivers. That makes sense: delivery eliminates shipping through the PO. I'm sure there are still deaths, but it seems that there would be fewer.
Former TSC team lead, not sure about other TSC but ours used Hoover. Honestly after working there, I'd never order from Hoover just from the quality I saw working at TSC. They would come half dead, myself and our warehouse guy always attempted to save them best we could, and we'd still end up with 50% or less of what the order was. Just my personal experience though.

Back
Top Bottom