• Barred Plymouth Rock

Votes: 2 3.0%

• Total voters
Pics

GirlsHuntToo

Professional Chicken Chaser
Jul 18, 2023
The Keystone State
I am ordering some babies chicks for next year and am looking for any breed suggestions. I am getting about 25! I made this a poll and put the breeds that I am looking at in there. Your thoughts are gratefully appreciated.
The breeds with the most votes I will get!!:celebrate:celebrate:jumpy
By the way I am ordering from Meyer Hatchery!!

Attachments

• 2021-07-14_08-56-33.jpg
    2021-07-14_08-56-33.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 782
Last edited by a moderator:
What is your goal? Egg production, personality, good looking, egg color, cold hardy, etc.? I just placed my order with Meyer last week. I wish I could order with you to get cheaper shipping. I wanted to order 15 chicks to have them shipped safer. And I offered to give out 9 free chicks with the $35 shipping cost I could save, nobody was interested in. So I paid $50 shipping for my 6 chicks. I ordered Swedish flower, Australorp, Buckeye, and Silkies. Silkies are just pets, and the other three types are for winter egg laying with good personality and health.

Ummm, I think egg production, good looking, and there personalities. I think cold hardy is also important because we do get some tough winters that just will not let you easily.

I would say Australorp and Barred Plymouth Rock will work the best for you. My Buff Orpington from Meyer is very broody and is an ok layer . I think Cookies and Cream will be good layers, but may not lay in winter. Steel eggers, Green Queen, and easter eggers should be good for green/blue eggs. My Splash Marans from Meyer is supper sweet but a terrible layer. She's 2 year old and only laid a couple months in spring this year. I heard Brahmas are not overall good layers. Some Wyandottes could be mean.

Mine said free shipping over 15 - ???? chicks. Not really sure! I am ordering at least 25!
When I checked, it's $15 shipping for 15 chicks. I just feel it's safer to have more chicks shipped together, but my coop is full. So I tried to offer 9 free (un-expensive) chicks to other chicken owners here, but no one wanted them.

My black Australorp has laid 2 eggs in a day before! I am super impressed with Cookie!
I love Barred Rocks and they have always been one of my favorites!
Buff Orpingtons are my top favorite breeds. Actually I have 3 Buff Orpingtons and one only went broody 1 time. My Pecan lays about 4 - 5 times a week and probably 2 of those eggs are double yolks. Any idea why - she is 3 1/2 years old???
My Wyandottes really are not mean but some of them are really flighty.

Back
Top Bottom