Where to get small quantity heritage birds?

Quote:
That is a great idea. Also post on BYC. Is there an Ohio BYC thread? Hope you can find enough. I ahve a friend that is going to get 5 poults with my order.

I posted a wanted ad on Craigs List in November, and got what I wanted within a week.

It actually was a good time of year to get turkeys from people that had leftovers from thanksgiving. I got a pair of Bourbon Red & Narragansetts.

Sue

For any 4H or FFA projects you should check with your local farm stores first. Many times they will work out some sort of deal for advertising when you display the turkeys.
At time one of our local farm store held with reduced cost for feed and supplies for the local 4H. But you must be aware that the stock most farm stores get is not always that great.

Tom

OP how far are you from IN? I may be able to track down some birds for you. I can call the lady I sold my Naragansettes to and see if she has sold them all yet. There is also another Heritage turkey breeder close to me. I know there are some other but they don't come to mind right now. I live close to Colmombia City for an idea of where I live. Shoot me a pm if you want.

Porters does allow smaller orders if you pick them up. We have done that a couple of times and since he is right on the MI/OH border, it was only an hour/hour and half drive, so not bad at all. Beautiful birds and definitely worth the drive.

I have only been raising, breeding and incubating turkeys for about 4 years now here in Idaho and started out knowing “Nothing” Today I have about 30 birds and 'Still know nothing"! Porter’s has been one of my greatest source of information when it comes to genetics even though I don’t always understand a lot of it! Their web site is clean, easy to follow and a wealth of info. I have emailed questions a couple of times and they were very helpful. When I talk to people around here I refer to Kevin Porter as the Guru of Turkeys! If there are other web sites that you know of please let me know as to date Porter’s takes first prize!

I have never bought a bird from them and I don’t get a commission but I might see if they offer one! I would love to have some of the birds he breeds!!!!

Last edited:
Quote:
I visited that web site the other day. It's really a wonderful guide to heritage breed turkeys.

I vowed I would NEVER type that URL again into my browser, nor click on a link to it -- just too dangerous. I can't have any more turkeys than the six I have right now. It could be a real addiction for some -- "I want ...., I want ...., I want ..."

Agreed! Seriously dangerous...

Quote:
I visited that web site the other day. It's really a wonderful guide to heritage breed turkeys.

I vowed I would NEVER type that URL again into my browser, nor click on a link to it -- just too dangerous. I can't have any more turkeys than the six I have right now. It could be a real addiction for some -- "I want ...., I want ...., I want ..."

Agreed! Seriously dangerous...

Would be nice if Kevin gave a commission.....but he knows he does not need to. Last I checked he is booked up til late May.

Back
Top Bottom