Where to get wheels for chicken coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by AnKa, Mar 7, 2009.

1. AnKa

AnKa Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2009
    I want to put my coop on wheels for a couple of reasons (i.e. to not make it a 'permanent structure' because we have huge setbacks) but we have trouble finding a cheap pair of wheels that could carry the thing. Ideas?

My husband even went to the junk yard for me to see about a trailer axle or something, to no avail.

Thanks!

2. Suburban chick farmer 09

Suburban chick farmer 09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    St. Louis MO
    How big is the coop?

3. AnKa

AnKa Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2009
    6x6 ft

4. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    Go to: http://www.harborfreight.com/

I
    have a store by me so you may want to look and see if there's a store but if not they do
    a good online business too. This is one store that me and the boyfriend can both
    go in and have fun looking around for an hour or so... Great store.

Do a search on "tire" for the tires.

Good luck!

Nancy

5. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
  6. Timbercrete

Timbercrete Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2009
    Moorpark, CA
    Hardware Store

7. BaronRenfrew

BaronRenfrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Gidday:

Here's what I do. Bought a dolly at a hardware store for $20. It's used for moving appliances: fridge, stove, etc.

works great to move my coop, it's 4X8 and weighs a ton (its really a fortress with a sliding door to the coop)

There's some hardware places that sell stuff to make your own trailers, there you can find something. I shop at Princess Auto but I think they're all Canadian (selling all chinese stuff)

Or search the yard sales: bicycles, bbq's, strollers, tricycles, golf bags, etc.

good luck

8. AnKa

AnKa Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2009
    Thanks all - the wheel at harborfreight looks perfect and is so reasonable in price.

9. meezermom

meezermom Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2009
    Roy WA
    My husband has bought a lot at Harbor Freight...and most of it has gotten used on my coop or stalls for the horses...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by