Where to give away my rooster?

You might want to look for your state's discussion thread on here, too. They're in the forum called "Where Am I? Where Are You?" There's a sticky post at the top that will help you find your state's thread. If it's active, that can be a good place to post your rooster, too. It may be easier there to find someone local who can take him.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/where-am-i-where-are-you.26/

Good luck to you!

Apparently, I didn't expect my buff Orpington to be a rooster, but there you go. I couldn't keep it in my backyard without raising eyebrows among my neighbors (I live in a relatively dense city neighborhood).

I tried to post it on craigslist/nextdoor, and I found most people asking didn't sound either sincere or serious. Usually they lived in the similar neighborhood, and some didn't even have chickens in the backyard. I felt that my "Jack" (yes we changed his name from "Rose" to "Jack") would end up worse if I gave him to those people.

I tried to call a local farm and they said that it would be a disaster to introduce a rooster to their big flock, which I wasn't sure, but it may be true.

So what is my choice here? I am even thinking I'd raise him until he crows so loud at which point I will euthanize him... which might be better than giving him away to some random people. Ideally, I wanted someone who had a small flock and lived in the hills / countryside interested in taking him, but seemed like hard to find. 😭
Our young rooster was crowing all the time and it was getting louder and louder each day and rather than get rid of him, we bought a no crow collar. https://nocrowroostercollars.com/. Best money we ever spent!

If you care about your rooster's experience, kill him yourself rather than giving him to somebody else. Otherwise, he will live his last moments on Earth in absolute fear. Think about it from his perspective - being torn from his family, transported in a car through a world that's much bigger than he ever imagined, and then handled by a total stranger who means to harm him.

Even if, best case scenario, that stranger treats him kindly before he kills him, just think about how horrible your rooster's experience is. What if somebody did that to you? Chickens are very social animals too and as prey animals have a high level of fear. It's so much kinder to kill him at your (his) own home if possible. If you don't feel comfortable doing the actual killing, maybe you know someone (or know someone who knows someone) who will come to your house and kill him for you.

Sorry that you are going through this. I have dreams of starting a rooster sanctuary someday to help people with this problem - but am not set up for that now. Best of luck.

Apparently, I didn't expect my buff Orpington to be a rooster, but there you go. I couldn't keep it in my backyard without raising eyebrows among my neighbors (I live in a relatively dense city neighborhood).

I tried to post it on craigslist/nextdoor, and I found most people asking didn't sound either sincere or serious. Usually they lived in the similar neighborhood, and some didn't even have chickens in the backyard. I felt that my "Jack" (yes we changed his name from "Rose" to "Jack") would end up worse if I gave him to those people.

I tried to call a local farm and they said that it would be a disaster to introduce a rooster to their big flock, which I wasn't sure, but it may be true.

So what is my choice here? I am even thinking I'd raise him until he crows so loud at which point I will euthanize him... which might be better than giving him away to some random people. Ideally, I wanted someone who had a small flock and lived in the hills / countryside interested in taking him, but seemed like hard to find. 😭
If you’re still looking for a new home for JAck, we could home him on our 32 acre non-commercial farm (near Warragul; not sure where you are...?)
We have two buff girls who‘d probably like a rooster who isn’t incapacitated. Our buff rooster has a hip problem and cannot mount them or walk properly. He has to hop. It also means he cannot fight and is very placid.

thanks. checking with them now.

I know the answer is mostly no, but still want to ask if it'd be wise to release him into the wild. I know probably won't survive, but at the same time, giving him to these people also means he likely won't survive either.

Also speaking of wild chickens, I know Hawaii islands have a lot of wild chickens, so it's not entirely true that chickens won't survive in the wild. :)
I lived in Hawaii and chickens "lived in the wild" in the same way feral cats did. They looked mangy, stringy, and quite scraggly. Wouldn't wish that life on anyone/anything.

When I realized one of my straight run set of chicks grew up into a rooster, I had a similar problem considering being in a neighborhood. I posted on Craigslist and and gave him to an immigrant family that barely spoke English. We didn’t discuss what they would do with him but I knew more than likely he was going to be food for them but I felt okay with my decision compared to euthanasia. I didn’t even know there were rescuers for unwanted chickens. Now I’ve seen in my state scheduled chicken swaps at farm supply stores every few months so I wish I had known of those options at the time. Ironically only a few months after my rooster left we had new neighbors move in that have guinea hens! Talk about noise! 😅

I am curious about the Orpington in the photo; the bird looks older than a couple months. At any rate, can you tell me what about that one bird (in the photo) says it is a rooster? I have Orpington birds in my flock and they all look like your “rooster.’

That looks like a pullet.

You’ve probably already resolved the rooster issue, I’ve used a crow restricter. It’s as simple as a doubled sided hook and loop (Velcro) wide tape.
A rooster expands his lungs and throat to crow. If restricted, the rooster’s air intake is less and the resulting crow quieter.
Place the ‘collar’ loosely around his neck. Give him time to become used to it being there. NEVER leave him unattended!
After some time, slightly tighten the collar. AGAIN, NEVER LEAVE HIM UNATTENDED! Observe him until he seems to be ok and settled into normal behavior again. He should be able to easily eat, drink, and do all normal rooster things except loudly crow.
Observing closely and very gradually tightening the band should get him safely to quieter crowing without any adverse effects.
Overly expensive crow suppressers can be purchased online at Amazon and other retailers.
Some may consider this cruel, but it may extend his life long enough for re-homing.
Another idea is to offer a hen with a rooster free to get him out of danger and give the adoptive person incentive to begin their own flock. I have done this a few times and am still in contact with the families.
I also order a few extra chicks when I’m buying for layers. I’ll share some of these with the families, too.
Be kind, be wise, and do no harm.
Regards…

Back
Top Bottom