Where to keep hen with chicks?

Bluecharm7

Chirping
Jan 4, 2020
My broody (an orpington and Serama) hen’s eggs have hatched. I really want to let them raise the chicks with the flock.

I have modified two dog crates, one solid walled one wire, connected them and added hardware cloth to prevent any issues for the chicks.

My question is where do I put this? I don’t have a traditional coop, I have a barn and I fenced in a 90’x70’ run for them. It’s very, very warm in the barn, especially during the day. The barn gets full sun (we are working of fixes) and can get well into 100+ degrees by the end of the day.

Is it safe to just let them stay in the barn? If I move the crates outside, can they stay outside 24/7? And how long do I keep them locked inside? Until the orpington has had enough?

Thanks

Do you have an area under a shade tree near where the rest of the flock hangs out? Where I keep my mama's and babies depends on the mamas, some are better than others...some have more protective roos than others. Generally across-the-board though I will keep all Mamas and babies locked in a brooder room for about 4 to 5 days so that the babies become used to listening to Mama then I let them free range with everyone else if they have a very protective and Vigilant mom

Back
Top Bottom