Where to keep them?

JaceAgain

Songster
5 Years
Feb 24, 2014
Coastal NC
Hi!
Im in the planning stages of getting chickens, Im not certain if Ill do it this spring or next. But assuming we do it now, where do I keep the chicks? Can I keep them in the house (in the rubbermaid) so I can socialize them easier? Or will they stink/feather everywhere?

Last edited:
That's what we do. Living in Montana it's still cold in the spring here. So we set up brooders in the laundry room and various places around the house. Big totes, shavings on the bottom, little waterers and feeders, and a light. They're nice and toasty. We don't put them out until they feather out all the way. I also keep an eye on them when I first put them out because the big chickens pick on them. In the house is fine. Or a garage that's heated.

Mine are also in the house, with my German Shepherd watching over them. When I change out their food and water and they start making a fuss the dog is right there to make sure I'm not harming "his" babies.

I also have ducklings on the way, and they will also be in the house. I'm crossing my fingers they ship safely as the 10 day forecast just changed significantly.

I always have my brooder inside the house when working in the Spring. If I get my chicks in the Fall I usually section off part of the coop instead as it's often warmer out in the coop in the Fall than inside the house.

welcome-byc.gif

I don't ever brood in the house anymore. Chick dust and dander get all over the place, plus the noise can be considerable if you have many birds.

A rubbermaid tote may look huge when your chicks are new, but by the time they're a few weeks old they're likely to be outgrowing it. Depending on how many chicks you have, I wouldn't count on using one much past 3 weeks, then they'll need more space.

I agree with Donrae. they are just too dusty to be in the house. After last spring, with only 6 birds upstairs, then 11 downstairs in the family room (which we don't use) I swore that I'd never brood in the house again. I'll be starting the next batch out in the garage, which unfortunately is under the bedroom end of the house. I'm hoping that by using fans in the bedrooms, the cheeping downstairs will be kept to a dull roar and not disturb our sleep.

Hi guys, I was just going to post this same question. We are getting three chicks in about two weeks (or sooner) I have everything to set up a brooder, but I don't know where. My options are laundry room (off the kitchen, would have to limit our cat's access to that area ) or unheated gravel floor somewhat damp (but not WET) 133 year old fruit cellar/basement. No cat access. Will the brooder light(s) be enough to keep them warm in the basement? It is definitely draft free down there, but it is cold.

Hi guys, I was just going to post this same question. We are getting three chicks in about two weeks (or sooner) I have everything to set up a brooder, but I don't know where. My options are laundry room (off the kitchen, would have to limit our cat's access to that area ) or unheated gravel floor somewhat damp (but not WET) 133 year old fruit cellar/basement. No cat access. Will the brooder light(s) be enough to keep them warm in the basement? It is definitely draft free down there, but it is cold.
I brood in my unheated/uninsulated barn and they do just fine. Those big red heat lamps put out a lot of heat! Keep them dry and everything should be fine.

Set it up ahead of time and try it. See what readings you get on a thermometer under the heat..

My brooder is in my unheated coop. I’ll probably be putting chicks in it tomorrow if they’ll finish hatching, 8 out 16 to go. tomorrow's forecast low 22, high 37 Fahrenheit. I checked it out today. With the heat on, the thermometer read 90 under the lamp. I’ll drop it just a tad lower and they should be OK with those lower temperatures.

My brooder has good draft protection and has heat in one end. The far end is allowed to cool off considerably. That way the chicks can go wherever they are comfortable. What happens is that they play all over the brooder and go back to the heat to warm up when they need to.

Thanks so much! I will set everything up later tonight when my baby goes to bed and see. I was also wondering if there is a specific humidity range that is considered ideal? We have a small thermometer that tells the humidity %. Does anyone know if having a heating/fuel oil tank and furnace down there be any problem for birds? There is a faint smell of fuel oil. I have a Co2 detector though, and it never has gone off.

Sorry to be so question-y.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom