Where to lay?

Don't sweat it - it's instinct. They look for a place where they feel safe and protected, where they can raise chicks. If they're free-ranging, you might find eggs anywhere - under a bush, inside a planter, on a chair.... or maybe it won't be an issue. But if you have them in an enclosed run and coop, they'll find the safest and most comfy place in a nesting box. Yours also have an older hen showing them where to do it. I have a whole bunch of birds - and never had a problem with the first-time hens laying where they're supposed to - even when free-ranging.

I have two Wyandottes now 16 weeks. I don't expect them to start laying for at least another month. My concern is as only one other of my girls is laying, how can I be sure if they'll know where to go to lay?
Dont worry they lay were ever they feel like it. My wyandotte is 20 weeks and layed her first egg. Mine will lay in the nesting box, in the bedding, outside, in their dust bathing area, and on top of the feeder. I have only had one chicken this year layed in the wrong spot. If you do find it not in the nesting box just put the egg they layed in there. It always works they never layed out of the box again. And fake eggs help alot. I put fake eggs in there at 16 weeks the first chicken that layed this year did it in the nesting box. Hopefully yours lay in the correct spot.

Dont worry they lay were ever they feel like it. My wyandotte is 20 weeks and layed her first egg. Mine will lay in the nesting box, in the bedding, outside, in their dust bathing area, and on top of the feeder. I have only had one chicken this year layed in the wrong spot. If you do find it not in the nesting box just put the egg they layed in there. It always works they never layed out of the box again. And fake eggs help alot. I put fake eggs in there at 16 weeks the first chicken that layed this year did it in the nesting box. Hopefully yours lay in the correct spot.
Thanks so much for your experience and advice :) I've often thought about fake eggs! It's good to know that others have success with them.

Back
Top Bottom