Where to order buff Orpington chicks from??????

crafty2002

Hatching
11 Years
Apr 6, 2008
I am ready to tackle them again but not sure where to order them from.
I am not sure where I ordered them from the last two, well, actually, my only two times I ever ordered them.
I am seeing several places that are saying they are out of stock and want you to get on a waiting list. I don't care for waiting list if I can avoid it, so if anyone has any advice I would appriciate it.
I want 50 Buff Orpington pullets and a couple of roos. Unless someone can give me a better idea.
I bought 25 and two the first time, all, B.O.'s and then stupitity set in and I ordered the mixed 50 roos for meat.
roll.png

Don't ever do that, LOL.
I like the B.O.'s pretty good, but I am open to new idea's. The B.O. roos can be mean as al get out but the hens are sweet as can be and lay a load of eggs.
But if you get too many mixed roos, them dumb birds will call every fox for miles at 2 am, LOL.
Anyway, where's the best place to order this year.
Thanks for any help.
Dennis

Try to find out the hatcheries which are located not very far from your state, that way chicks will survive the trip.
I found MT healthy hatchery in OH and I really love thier chicks and they are good folks to work with.

Omran

We're in the MidAtlantic, and we ordered Buff Orp chicks from McMurray last year, and Ideal this year, and both sets of chicks arrived happy and healthy, and are doing wonderfully.

Honestly if you can I'd get egg's from Jody and you won't be dissappointed.I hatched 11 out of 16 two weeks ago and they are growing like weeds.She has the best, far superior to any hatchery.If you have to go the hatchery route I would pick McMurray from my experience.I have one girl from there and she is absolutely huge.I have two from Ideal and they are no where near the size of Big mama.

I would call the country stores or tractor stores to see if there getting any in. Mine is getting some Wed. So I will be there early Wed morning before they sell out
hth
Mary

I have a beautiful buff orp that came from Cackle. She is one of my favorite hens.
They also have great prices compared to most hatcheries.

.Cackle

Thanks for the helps folks. I guess I am going with Cackle again, since my wife says "Hey, that's where you got the first ones at and they were so cute"
smile.png
I am not sure she's right but may be.
Got her happy again anyway. Best stick with it, LOL.
I'm just kidding. She like the chickens to. Tickled me a few times. I would be out side and come in and there she was setting on the couch with a chicken in her lap fussing because she has to go change clothes cause it crapped on her, LOL.
But darling, chickens do that, LOL.
50 B.O.'s nearly on the way. Just can't wait.
Let me ask one other question before I completly decide. Most of the time they add a couple extra. Trying to keep the cost down, so I am not going to order any roos.
What's the chance I will get 1-2-3 roos in a 50 pullet order?
If I just get one that would be enough but I need one because I want to hatch mine from now on and I can seperate them if needed.
But 2 or 3 would be better.
Thanks again for the help.
Dennis

One last thought....what is your reason for chickens? I want Orphintons for the brown eggs, getting tired of white eggs. Oh, my Leghorns lay daily and the eggs are large, but the white is just too much for me now. I got talking with a member in chat. Leghorn Dude has Orphingtons...Blue/Black/Splash...that is normally what comes out when you want blue. I did not discuss price, he sells eggs, and mails out one day a week. I am going with his eggs. Want something out of the ordinary.

I did not ask if he is NPIP approved.
I did not ask the egg price.
I did not ask the blood line of his birds.

Please consider that as well if interested and good luck. The quality of your flock and the less mistakes you make now, pays off later.

Sexing seems to be 90-95% accurate. I think i can guarantee that if you ordered 50 pullets you will get a roo. Or 3 or 4! The hatchery personnel would probably tell you the same thing. It is no exact science. If I order 5 females I am glad to get 4.

Back
Top Bottom