Where to purchase chickens

Miri1996

Hatching
10 Years
Sep 24, 2009
Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and also new to the idea of growing chickens. I would very much like to purchase baby bantam chickens, however, I have no clue how to go about it. I live in a small town in Southern California, named San Dimas. If anyone has any information on how I can go about purchasing baby chickens, I would very much appreciate it.

Thank you for your time, and I hope to hear from someone soon.

Hi,

Thank you for your reply ChickBond 007. Yes I am just interested in buying just 3 for now. But, I am sure with time I will want more. Thank you very much. I will check out the website. I am so glad I found this forum. I tell my friends about my love for wanting to grow chickens and they just don't understand. Thanks again.

You can also look for a web site for a breed club for the breed you are interested in, and see if they have a breeder's directory.

Even fairly rare breeds often have three or four breeders in any given state.

You'll probabaly discover quickly that it's easier to find chickens than to house them. Find a good safe location for your coop, and get that going before you bring any chickens home. In your location a chicken tractor is probably a good place to start. Really easy to make those. Tons of good info here on small coop design. That's the biggest mistake i made. They ended up living in my garage for a while and that was a major mess
smile.png

Good luck
~Mark

Meyers Hatchery also sells small orders of chickens, same as MyPetChickens. Check the Buy-sell-trade section, post there, check the breeder section to see if someone is nearby. It is fairly expensive t ship small orders of chickens. I searched for a while to find mine nearby so I could pick them up. Also, if you have a feedstore nearby, ask them if they know anyone with banties or ask if you can post a sign in the store. Check the section where auctions, swaps, meets and shows are posted....Maybe there is something near you. Maybe you can post in the "where am I? Where are you" thread to find others in your area, post there that waht you are looking for....And before I forget....
welcome-byc.gif
from WI

You guys are the best. And very funny as well. Many ideas thank you. I am definitely working on building their little house first, I just wanted to make sure I won't stare at an empty chicken house. Thank you all so much. I have no animals that I can post about yet, but as you can see I am working on it.

Besides what other people have already mentioned, i will suggest- Do your research. Know what kind of breeds you want and get them so that you don't end up with something crazy or not up to your likes. Really consider what you want them for, if just pets any breed will do basically. Some breeds eat more than others though, are more noisy than others, etc. So if you are on a tight budget i wouldn't aim for most of the production/heavy breeds feed wise (though they can sort of save you money on eggs.)

-Daniel.

Last edited:
Thank you DTchickens. I do want them mainly as pets and for some of their egg laying capabilities, but not interested in mass egg production by any means. I would like to have a breed that is not as noisy, (making sure neighbors are happy) although I do understand they are chickens and they will make some noise. I have bought a book on chickens, however, the idea of looking into what types are noisier than others never crossed my mind. Do you have any info. on any bantam breed that is not so noisy? Many thanks.

Back
Top Bottom