where to put a window or 2?

jwchicklady

Songster
10 Years
May 29, 2009
Howell, MI
My coop is an 8x8 previous goat house with no windows. I put in vents (but need more)and would like to have a larger window type opening with hardwire covering (covering part of it in bad weather with plywood flap or something). What side should I put it on? The East and South sides are enclosed in the run, so I am thinking they would be the safer bet as far as predators trying to break in. Do I need to have 2 window areas open on opposite sides of each other for better airflow? how big should these openings be? Right now, I only have 5 small type of vents up high on different walls and a large pop door,but that is not enough ventilation as I am getting an ammonia smell this winter because the gals don't want to spend anytime outdoors. I do open the large people door during the day for ventilation. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

patandchickens

Flock Mistress
12 Years
Apr 20, 2007
Ontario, Canada
As far as ventilation, you might take a look at my Big Ol' Ventilation page (link in .sig below) that might have some helpful suggestions for you.

As far as a window, primarily for light, I would suggest putting it on the S side - you will get useful daytime warmth from it in winter, and as you say it is nice to have a window extra-protected by being in the run. Another window on the E side, or E and W sides both, would make the coop lighter and improve airflow in the hot summer months, but if you are only putting in *one* I'd put it on the S.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Top Bottom