Where to put Feed and Water.

I only put water in the coop and I live in HOT TEXAS. The girls go in and sleep and do not drink at all while they sleep... They come out at day break. The only time I put water and food in the actual coop is if I am leaving them inside for some reason during the day.

It all depends on your setup & self discipline. If they are let out of their coop first thing in the morning, every morning, without fail, and not put back in until sunset then food & water in just the run is fine. However, if you live in a hot climate, you should most certainly put at least water in the coop. I live in FL so I always have water in the coop. Also, if you don't necessarily let them out of the coop (that is if you close & secure it at night, like you should to keep out predators) first thing each morning, like if you sleep in or something, it's comforting to know they will have water.

I do not keep food in my coop though. It just makes a mess and can attract even more pests/predators.

As far as the water in the coop. I use an old milk jug with a $2 no-drip nipple waterer. I got it from TekSupply. It took them a while to figure it out, and a bit of training (poke it with a stick while they stand under it, lol) but they got it ok. In the mean time I had put their chick waterer in there just in case. They always managed to knock it over though and get all their bedding wet. So now that they have the jug it keeps it really nice and dry & clean in there. Minus all the poo of course. LOL. Oh, you can also use one of those rabbit/small animal waterers they hang on the cages.

I'm sure a lot of people have differing opinions on this, so this is just what I do. You'll figure out what works best.

I keep food and water in the coop. This reinforces it as HOME to my girls, and they dont tend to play in it. The food is in a hanging feeder, and really isnt spilled much at all. The water is elevated on concrete blocks, and only gets a little dusty from time to time, so i swish it daily.

I have never seen bugs in the coop, and no rodents. Treats are always given outside unless it rains or bad weather makes them be under house arrest. And living in the NW, that does happen at times. This way we dont have to worry about the food getting wet and moldy...we have never had an issue in the coop with the chickie chow.

We do set up treats in the bad weather and the winter tho for them...flock block, hanging veggies, etc. but 90% of time treats are given outside.

I keep both food and water in the coop on a large brick and I keep a larger waterer outside for them when it's hot becasue my silkies are not that brite
big_smile.png
In our large coop we keep only food and water inside and nothing outside. They free range all day and drink out of the dog water dish LOL I do hang the feeder in the large pen and place the waterer on a large brick inside. Keeps it dry. Don't want the feed getting wet or it will mold. And mold is deadly to chickens.

ETA...when I say bricks it's actually concrete blocks

Last edited:
Here in Texas it is really hot durning the summer so I have a hanging feeder and water inside and also water outside. Some stay inside during the heat of the day ad the others stay under the coop. I don't put feed outside other than treats which they get each morning, usually left over from supper, because we have a lot of birds.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom