where to put my coop

Firtle

In the Brooder
8 Years
Nov 27, 2011
I need a good place to put a coop. Here are two places I'm thinking of putting it.

112661_p1020994.jpg

112661_p1020995.jpg

I personally like my coop being at the edge/corner of the yard. That way it doesn't take up too much room. I would say in the back corner of the first picture.

I would try put it where it will have the most protection from cold winds. If that's a problem where you are? Also if the coop could get afternoon shade during the heat of summer. Other than that either spot seems good! Good luck.

Two things to keep in mind.

1st is if you put the coop itself under trees you may end up with limbs falling on the coop and damaging the roof or collapsing the run. Also the trees give predators a place to sit and plan their attacks on your chickens.

2nd is it's best to build the coop on high ground with good drainage. After a short time the chickens will have eaten all the grass and you'll be left with a muddy mess if it does not drain well.

Other than that, either location looks to be close enough to the house to be easy to get to in bad weather and snow when you have to carry water and feed to them.

Back
Top Bottom