Where To Raise Them--

CoalLucker

Chirping
Jul 18, 2016
Indiana
I was planning on having one of my hens hatch some eggs for me so I can grow my flock. I was wondering if I should have her hatch them in the coop and raise them with the rest of the flock or if I should separate the hen from the rest of the flock and have her hatch the eggs and raise them by herself and then introduce them to the the flock. Any answer helps. Thank you!

I was planning on having one of my hens hatch some eggs for me so I can grow my flock. I was wondering if I should have her hatch them in the coop and raise them with the rest of the flock or if I should separate the hen from the rest of the flock and have her hatch the eggs and raise them by herself and then introduce them to the the flock. Any answer helps. Thank you!
Separate the hen and the chicks from the coop. The other hens will peck the youngsters. Let her raise them for a while, them reintroduce them to the coop.

I'm dealing with a broody right this minute. I have had a devil of a time breaking her, and just gave up and decided to let her sit on three eggs. The problem is that the nest she's chosen is the most used of the seven nest boxes, and therefore very vulnerable.

My attempts to convince Su-su to accept another nest box all failed. She wasn't interested in the three eggs at all unless I put them in the nest she favored. So that's where she's going to spend the next week at least. I may then try to move her to the broody nest box which is on the floor in the least used coop, better for rearing babies. I'm hoping she will have imprinted on the eggs by then and will be willing to go where I put them.

So, my words to you are that it's not entirely your decision. Your broody, if you happen to get one to come into the right hormones, will select the nest, and if it's not the best choice, you may need to move her and the chicks when they hatch to a safer place. And even then, a broody may not cooperate.

I have tried both ways. What i do now is separate the hen and eggs in a large dog crate in another section of the coop and then a couple of days before they are due to hatch i put them in a large cat carrier on the floor of the coop. The mamma protects the babies from the other chickens in my experience. They will also go out and free range with the rest of the flock, usually within a week or two of hatching. The only reason i put them in a seperate area initially is to prevent the hens from laying more eggs in the clutch.

I'm dealing with a broody right this minute. I have had a devil of a time breaking her, and just gave up and decided to let her sit on three eggs. The problem is that the nest she's chosen is the most used of the seven nest boxes, and therefore very vulnerable.

My attempts to convince Su-su to accept another nest box all failed. She wasn't interested in the three eggs at all unless I put them in the nest she favored. So that's where she's going to spend the next week at least. I may then try to move her to the broody nest box which is on the floor in the least used coop, better for rearing babies. I'm hoping she will have imprinted on the eggs by then and will be willing to go where I put them.

So, my words to you are that it's not entirely your decision. Your broody, if you happen to get one to come into the right hormones, will select the nest, and if it's not the best choice, you may need to move her and the chicks when they hatch to a safer place. And even then, a broody may not cooperate.
Move her at night in the dark and you may have to put her in a box somewhere away from the coop where she cannot see her old nest box, otherwise she will try and get back to it. If it's familiar territory she will abandon her eggs in favour of her old nest. Put her in your laundry, shed, or garage with food and water nearby and once she's settled for at least a few days you should be able to put her back in the coop in her box. Or shut just her in your least used coop with food and water and make sure she can't see out the doors/windows or she will try and get back to her old nest, but again, move her and her eggs in the dark so she has all night on her new nest and in the morning thinks she's been there all along. Good luck with Su-su. Sounds like she's determined to be a mother!

Back
Top Bottom