Where to rent a plucker? or, any for rent in Ohio?

It takes a while for a plucker to pay for itself, but it does eventually if you are going to raise birds to eat.

$600 for my plucker. $7 per bird to have ducks done if I pay to have it done. I've dressed 30 ducks this year. That would be $210 to pay to have them done. 7 geese to do next month. I'm guessing $10 to have them processed, but might be more. So another $70 saved. 50 chickens planned next spring at $3 each, so another $150 saved. $430 saved on processing so far and we intend to keep doing this.

Also a consideration: the nearest licensed processor is about 120 miles away, over a high mountain range, so $80- $100 in gasoline every time we take the birds to be processed. You can't drive 50 live birds to the processor in a hybrid car.

Or you could get a drill mounted plucker for around $39.95. (Just a thought) And I know where you might buy one..........................................................

My sister borrows one from the county extension office.

We skin rather than pluck.

We also have been skinning but want to do some plucked with the skin on, as well.

There was a thread somewhere around here where someone was talking about those gloves with black grip dots on them... said they used them & plucked a scalded bird in just a couple of minutes (not as fast as a whiz bang, but faster than traditional hand-plucking). We are going to look at all the options, try a few out, and see what works for us.

We're looking at those drill-mounted pluckers. Might work out pretty well. Including the cost of a separate drill, you could put together one of those for about $80.

Back
Top Bottom